The Birth of Jesus Christ (The Nativity Story)
The Christmas story lesson it here! This is our FAVORITE! During this holiday season it is nice to pause and study the reason for Christmas. This lesson chronicles the birth of the Christ and expands into what WE can learn from a study of the birth of the Christ child.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Joy to the World"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite each child to hold up five fingers, and then have children take turns naming five things that make them the most happy and that fill them with joy.
After this activity, ask the following questions:
1) What does your face look like when you are really happy? (Children can demonstrate)
2) How do you move when you are really happy? (Children can demonstrate dancing, raising arms, running around, jumping up and down, etc.)
3) What sounds do you make when you are really happy? (Children can demonstrate clapping hands, cheering, etc.)
4) When you are excited about something (like when it’s your birthday), do you just sit quietly or do you tell everybody? (Discuss)
5) Do you think angels can feel joy and happiness like we do? (Discuss)
6) What kinds of things do you think make the angels feel most happy? (Discuss)
7) What do you think angels do when they are happy? (Discuss)
🎥 V I D E O : " Animated Nativity Story for Children"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about the time when Jesus Christ was born! While you watch the video, see if you notice any angels! See if you can tell why the angels were so happy, and what they did when they were happy!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why were the angels so happy? (Jesus Christ was born)
2) What did the angels do when they were happy? (They came to the earth, praised God, said “peace and goodwill towards men”)
3) What did the shepherds do after the angels told them about Jesus Christ? (Went to Bethlehem to see the baby Jesus and then they went around telling everybody!)
4) Was Christ’s birth important for just a few people, or for the whole world? (Discuss)
5) Why was Jesus Christ’s birth important for the whole world? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
1) Who was the angel’s message to? (To all people)
2) When more angels came, what did they do? (Praised God, said “peace and goodwill towards men”)
3) Do you feel joy when you think about Jesus Christ? (Discuss)
4) What does that joy make you want to do with your hands? With your arms? With your feet? With your face? Or with your voice? (Discuss)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to draw a line on the map to show the path that Mary and Joseph walked from Nazareth to Bethlehem and then invite children to color the 4 coloring pages from the Nativity story.
Remind children to pay attention to the joy they feel in their hearts as the think about Jesus Christ and his birth
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.