The Atonement of Jesus Christ- Come Follow Me: Feb. 10th- 16th
This week's lesson bundle uses a small "parable" to teach why we need the atonement of Jesus Christ. Have your children or class watch the video of Terry the turtle and use our lesson bundle to tie the video back in to the atonement.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Did Jesus Really Live Again?"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Cut out large hearts from full size sheets of white paper (make two for each child).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Pass out a pencil and one paper heart to each child. Invite children to scribble all over the paper heart with a pencil.
Now ask children to use the erasers to try to remove all the scribbles from the heart so that it is perfectly clean again. (This should be difficult to do since there will always be some residue left from the lead no matter how much they erase.)
Ask the following questions:
1) Were you able to make your heart perfectly clean again? Why not? (Discuss)
2) What do you think the scribbles could represent? What makes dark marks on our hearts? (Discuss)
Explain that when we choose to break Heavenly Father’s commandments it hurts our hearts, and our hearts are not clean and pure anymore. That’s called sin.
Pass out a new heart to each child. Explain that because of Jesus Christ we can receive a new heart, just like His! Clean and pure, and filled with love! And that is His gift to use if we will receive it.
🎥 V I D E O : "Terry the Turtle | Children's Story About the Atonement of Jesus Christ "
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about Terry the Turtle! In the story, Terry is going to run into two
problems. See if you can remember both of them!”
[Watch Video: “Terry the Turtle | Children's Story About the Atonement of Jesus Christ"]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was the first problem that Terry had to solve? (He got stuck on his back)
2) What was the other problem Terry had to solve? (Jesus Christ)
3) Could Terry solve the problems by himself? (no)
4) Who did Terry need help from? (the crane)
5) We usually don’t get stuck on our backs, but we have two big problems that we need Jesus
Christ to help us with. Can you remember what two problems we are facing? (physical death
and spiritual death)
6) What is physical death? (separation of body and spirit)
7) What is spiritual death? (separation from Heavenly Father)
8) Can we solve these problems by ourselves? Who do we need help from? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures together and discuss the questions that follow.
Before you read the following verse, ask children to actively listen to see if they can hear the word “monster!”
1) Physical death and spiritual death are so terrible that the scriptures call them a scary thing. Can you remember what the scriptures call these problems? (not just a monster - and awful monster!)
2) Who prepared the way for us to escape from the awful monster of spiritual death and physical death? (God/Jesus Christ)
1) This verse says that someone made a plan to send Jesus Christ to help us. Do you remember who’s plan it was? (God)
2) What will happen after we die? Will our body stay dead forever? (discuss resurrection)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children color and cut out “Terry the Turtle!” Invite children to color the scene from the marsh. Use a small brad/fastener to attach Terry to the scene (make sure the dots align). Invite children to turn Terry over to represent physical death, and then to spin him around to represent resurrection!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.