The Articles of Faith
This week, we are studying the Articles of Faith! These truths - laid out plainly - are a guiding light in a world of darkness and confusion.
This week's video will present these thirteen precious ‘diamonds’ of truth in a way that a child can understand and relate to!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Search, Ponder, and Pray"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Each child will need some kind of small box to serve as a “treasure box.” Print the “Treasure Up” activity page (once copy for each child). Before the lesson begins, print an extra copy of the “Treasure Up” activity page and cut out the thirteen diamonds. Hide the diamonds around the room.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
When you begin the lesson, tell the children they will be going on a treasure hunt! Invite all of the children to search the room together until they find all thirteen diamonds! After they have found all of the diamonds, spread them out in a place where everyone can see them.
Explain: Knowing what is true is a great treasure! If we believe something that is true, then we have power to make good choices! But if we believe something that is not true, we can waste a lot of time doing the wrong things.
Today we are going to learn about thirteen treasures of truth that the prophet Joseph Smith taught us! These thirteen treasures of truth are called “The Articles of Faith!”
🎥 V I D E O + A C T I V I T Y : "The Articles of Faith | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
First, pass out one activity page to each child. Help each child cut out their thirteen diamonds and place them in a pile next to that child’s treasure box.
Now, say: “We are going to go on another treasure hunt! We are going to watch a video about the thirteen Articles of Faith! Remember, each one of these is a treasure of truth! Every time you discover one of the treasures, you get to put a diamond in your treasure box!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why is it important to know what is true? (Because if we believe something that is true, we have power to make good choices.)
2) What happens if we believe in something that is not true? (We can waste a lot of time doing the wrong things.)
3) What treasures of truth did you find when you were watching the video? (Discuss a few of the Articles of Faith that the children remember.)
4) Who wrote the Articles of Faith? (Joseph Smith wrote them in a letter to tell someone what we believe.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
...and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
1) Who are these scripture talking about? (The sons of Mosiah, while they were doing missionary work.)
2) What does it mean to “wax strong” in the knowledge of truth? (It means they understood the truth really well and they were able to make lots of good choices.)
3) How did they learn so much about truth? (They searched the scriptures diligently.)
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
1) What can make us free? (Knowing the truth will make us free!)
They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
1) What does it mean to be in bondage? (It means we are trapped.)
2) If we aren’t actually in a real prison, why do we need truth to make us free? (Sin puts us in bondage, but knowing the truth can set us free from the bondage of sin!)
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!
Click HERE to find out more!