Ephesians 6:11-17 "The Armor of God" is the topic of focus this week. We have crated an engaging and fun video that illustrates the importance of putting on the Armor of God in a way children can fully relate to.
The video this week is more of an OBJECT LESSON than a stand along teaching tool. You will need discussion and teaching afterward to apply the "parable" of this video. We have crated a lesson bundle to assist in applying this video to the scriptures. Also included in the lesson bundle is an activity and discussion questions. We hope that this video, and lesson, will foster understanding and a desire to put on the Armor of God daily.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Dare to Do Right"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Pass around an umbrella. Instruct children to look at it, but not to open it. (If you don’t happen to have an umbrella, you can have the children put their arms over their heads in the shape of an umbrella.)
While they are passing around the umbrella, discuss the following questions:
1) What is called? (umbrella)
2) What is it for? (It protects you from the rain.)
3) How does it work? (You open it and then you hold it over your head.)
4) What if you don't open it, but you still held it over your head. Will it work?
5) What if you open it but you don’t put it over your head. Will it work then?
🎥 V I D E O : "Put on the Armor of God"
Explain: “We’re going to watch a video about someone going into a pretend battle.” Then ask the following questions:
1) Do you think he will choose to put on his armor, or to leave it off?
2) What do you think will happen if he isn’t wearing his armor?
3) What do you think will happen if he is wearing his armor?
[Watch Video: “Put on the Armor of God”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What happened when he wasn’t wearing his armor?
2) Why do you think he didn’t wear his armor? (discuss)
3) What happened when he did wear his armor?
4) What parts of the armor can you remember from the video? (discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Explain: “The armor in the video, and the armor in the scripture verses are symbols. A symbol is something that we can see that makes us think of something else. (Instruct everyone to give each other a “thumbs up” symbol, then ask them what that symbol means.)
As you read the verses together, invite children to use their hands to show where each piece of armor goes (place hands on head for a helmet for example).
After reading the verses, ask the following questions:
1) Do you remember what the helmet represents? (salvation)
2) Do you remember what the breastplate represents? (righteousness)
3) Do you remember what the sword represents? (the word of God)
4) Do you remember what the shield represents? (faith)
5) Do you remember what the girdle (belt) represents? (truth)
6) Do you remember what feet shod (shoes) represent? (the gospel of peace)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Explain that we are in a spiritual battle, and Heavenly Father has told us about some things that will protect us in this battle - but we must use them! (Refer back to the umbrella discussion.)
Instruct children to write their own name next to the soldier at the bottom of the page. Invite children to cut out the arrows and the rockets and tape (or glue) them around the soldier to represent all the fiery darts of the adversary! While working on this activity, you might discuss together some “fiery darts” that you might encounter.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.