Strengthening Others: Sept. 20th-26th
This week's lesson and video invites each of us to reflect on how we can build and strengthen those around us. Like the Savior, we can bear others burdens, comfort others, offer friendship, give of our time and talents and minister to those who need our help.
Download in English: Español: Português:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a stack of books, a small cup, and several sheets of printer paper.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Divide the books into two stacks and place a single sheet of paper on top to form a “bridge.” Now place the cup on top of the paper to test the strength of the bridge. (The paper should bend, and the cup should fall between the books.) Now, invite the children to try to strengthen the bridge by folding the paper in different ways! Allow multiple attempts. See if they can find a way to make a bridge that is strong enough to hold the cup!
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) Was the bridge strong at first? Or was it weak? (It was weak.)
2) What did you do to make the bridge stronger? (They folded the paper in different ways.)
3) Do you think people need to be strong too, like the strong bridge? Why? (Discuss some things that require strength, choosing the right, doing hard things, facing adversity, etc.)
Explain: In the scriptures, Heavenly Father told us to strengthen one another. Just like we worked together to make the bridge stronger, we can also work together to help other people be stronger!
🎥 V I D E O : "Strengthen One Another | Animated Scripture Lessons for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about strengthening others! See if you can remember some of the things we can do to strengthen others!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What can we do with physical strength? (Discuss things like lifting heavy things, running fast, jumping high, etc.)
2) What can we do with spiritual strength? (We can live with greater faith, and we can keep the commandments even when it is hard to do.)
3) What are some things we can do to strengthen others? (Say nice things, help them feel the Holy Ghost, set an example, pray for them, etc.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversation, in all your prayers, in all your exhortations, and in all your doings.
1) What is the Lord asking us to do in this verse? (He is asking us to strengthen others.)
2) What are some ways we can strengthen others? (In our conversation, in our prayers, and in all our doings.)
And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
1) Did the Lord take away the burdens that were hard for Alma and his brethren? (No.)
2) What did the Lord do to help them? (He strengthened them, so that they could bear their burdens with ease!)
3) Why do you think the Lord didn’t take away their burdens? (Discuss.)
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The apostle Paul is speaking.)
2) Where does Paul get his strength? (Through Jesus Christ!)
3) How can we help others to be stronger like Paul? (We can help them come unto Jesus Christ.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
[Pass out activity pages]
Invite the children to color the scene from the video and assemble the spinner by following the directions. Use this time to talk about things that you can do to help strengthen others.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, become a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!