Small and Simple Means
Our story in life is made from the choices we make, day in and day out. Often it is the very smallest choices that shape our future. The same is true for our children. This lesson teaches the truth that the small choices they make do matter!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Have several blank sheets of paper ready to use for the intro activity and throughout the lesson. Print and prepare the activity pages. Gather brads (one for each child) for the activity at the end of the lesson.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Pass out one blank sheet of paper to each person. Invite everyone to try to fold their paper in half 8 times! This will be easy for the first few folds. But, a thick layer of folds will build up and eventually the task will become impossible!
Allow children to make multiple attempts with new sheets of paper until they are convinced it is impossible! After completing the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Were you able to fold your paper in half 8 times? (No, it’s impossible!)
2) Was it easy to make the first fold? (Yes.)
3) Was it easy to make the second fold? (Yes.)
4) So, what happened? Why was it impossible at the end? (Because one fold became lots of folds and eventually it was too many!)
Explain: “Today we will learn about how Heavenly Father uses small and simple things to do great things! This is an important lesson that Heavenly Father teaches us in the scriptures.”
Pick up a new sheet of paper and demonstrate the folding activity again while you explain the following: “One fold is a very small and simple thing. Like saying one prayer is a small and simple thing. (Fold the paper once.) But, if we pray every day, one prayer becomes many prayers and that’s when the great things can happen!” Fold the paper more times to demonstrate this principle.
🎥 V I D E O : "Small and Simple Things / Come Follow Me for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about small and simple things. In this video, there is one small thing that happens that leads to lots of big problems! While you are watching, see if you find the small thing that happens!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was the small thing that happened? (The nail broke and the sign turned around.)
2) Did the cats make it to the Cat Mountain? (No.)
3) Were they close to it? Or really far away? (Really far away.)
4) Did the little nail make a big difference right away or did it take a long time to make a big difference? (Discuss.)
5) Can you think of some things that Heavenly Father has asked us to do that are small and simple? (Read scriptures daily, pray daily, take the sacrament every week, etc.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Pass out a new sheet of paper to each child. Instruct them to listen closely as you read the scriptures below. Have them fold their paper once whenever they hear the words “small” or “simple.”
6 “Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.”
7 “And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.”
33 “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great”.
29 “...And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things.”
1) How does Heavenly Father bring to pass great things? (By small and simple means.)
2) Why do you think Heavenly Father asks us to do small and simple things? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out activity pages
Cut out the arrows for the signs and attach them using small brads. Rotate the arrows and talk about how small and simple things can have great consequences!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.