Included in this week's study is the story of Ruth and Naomi. Ruth was not going to leave her mother-in-law, even after the death of her husband. Ruth knew that Naomi needed her and perhaps she needed Naomi too. Her resolve to stay and live with Naomi is a great example of looking out for the needs of those around us!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Love One Another"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Look around the room where you will be teaching the lesson, and change some things around so that they are out of place or turned the wrong way. (For example: You could turn some decorations upside down or place the couch cushions under the couch!)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Tell the children that they are going to be detectives! Explain that there are some things that are out of place in the room, and their job is to see if they can find all of the things that are out of place and put them back the way they belong.
After completing the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) What does a detective do? (A detective looks for clues to solve a mystery.)
2) Can a detective find clues if he/she isn’t looking carefully for the clues? (No. They must look carefully so they don’t miss anything!)
3) When you did this activity, were you looking carefully too, to make sure you didn’t miss anything? (Discuss.)
Explain: Jesus Christ taught us to love and serve one another. Serving others and loving others is a lot like being a detective. If we want to know what we can do to help others, we need to find the clues for what they need! Just like a detective!
🎥 V I D E O : "Ruth and Naomi | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a woman in the Bible named Ruth! Ruth wants to help someone named Naomi and Ruth is good at looking for clues! While you are watching, see if YOU can find the clues and figure out what Naomi needs!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did you figure out what Naomi needed? How did you know? (Discuss Naomi’s situation together.)
2) What did Ruth do when she figured out what Naomi needed? (She chose to stay with Naomi and help take care of her.)
3) When we are serving people, should we just find out what people need? Or should we also find a way to help them? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures together and discuss the questions that follow.
And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God…
1) What did Ruth do to serve Naomi? (She said she would stay with Naomi forever to take care of her and be with her!)
2) How do you think Naomi felt when Ruth did this for her? (Discuss.)
3) How do you think the Lord felt when Ruth chose to serve Naomi? (Yes!)
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
1) Who is Mosiah? (A king and a prophet.)
2) Who is “our fellow beings?” (Everyone!)
3) Does Jesus Christ love all of us? (Yes!)
4) If we serve someone, why do you think that’s serving Jesus Christ too? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Color the scene from the video. Invite the children to think of some things that they could do to serve someone that they know today. Tell them to remember to look for clues and to see if they can figure out what someone else needs, and then try to find a way to help! Remind them that when we serve others, we are also serving Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk