Love One Another- Come Follow Me: April 13th-19th
Teaching our children to see the needs of others takes lots of practice and training. This week's lesson bundle and video focus on teaching our children to look for opportunities to serve others and perceive their needs.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Love One Another"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Print the activity pages before the lesson. You will need to use one of the pages for the introduction: (the golden plates “search and find” game).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite children to gather around the golden plates “search and find” activity page. Tell them that
they are going to be detectives! Explain that there is something unique about each image of the golden plates. Invite children to see if they can identify the thing that is different in each drawing.
After completing the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) What does a detective do? (solves mysteries)
2) How does a detective solve a mystery? (looks carefully for clues)
3) Can a detective find clues if he/she isn’t looking carefully for clues? (no)
4) When you did this activity, were you looking carefully too? (discuss)
5) What do we do when we are looking carefully? (have children demonstrate what it looks like)
6) What does it feel like when we are looking carefully at something? What does it sound
Explain: Jesus Christ taught us to love and serve one another. Serving others and loving others is a lot like being a detective. If we want to do the best things for others, we need to find the clues that guide us to what they need! Just like a detective!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Helpful Digger⎥A Story About Serving Others"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a helpful digger! The helpful digger is good at looking for clues to see the needs of others. While you are watching, see if YOU can find the clues and figure it out (what they need) before the digger!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did you figure out what the bird needed? How did you know? (discuss the clues)
2) Did you figure out what the turtle needed? How did you know? (discuss the clues)
3) Did you figure out what the blue car needed? How did you know? (discuss the clues)
4) Did you figure out what the red car needed? How did you know? (discuss the clues)
5) What did the digger do when he figured out what everyone needed? (found a way to help)
6) When we are serving people, should we just find out what people need? Or should we also help them? (discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture together and discuss the questions that follow.
1) Who is Mosiah? (a king and a prophet)
2) Who is “our fellow beings?” (everyone!)
3) Does Jesus Christ love all of us? (yes!)
4) How much does he love us? What did he do for all of us? (discuss)
5) If we hurt someone else, do you think it hurts Jesus Christ too? Why? (because He suffered and died for them and He loves them very much)
6) If we help someone else, do you think it’s helping Jesus Christ too? Why? (because He suffered and died for them and He loves them very much)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Color scene and the characters on the pages. Cut out the mechanical arm for the digger. Attach to the scene with a brad.
Invite children to be detectives while they are doing the activity pages! Tell them to look around the room, and to look at all the other people. Tell them to remember to look for clues and to see if they can figure out what someone else needs, and then try to find a way to help! Remind them that when we serve others, we are also serving Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.