Repentance and A New Heart: August 15th-21st
When we sincerely repent and turn our hearts to Jesus Christ, we can become clean and purified through the power of His Atonement. Our Heavenly Father sent his son Jesus Christ to make it possible for us to return to his presence with a pure heart and clean hands. This week's lesson reflects on the miracle the atonement, and how our lives can be blessed through the gift repentance.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "He Sent His Son"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a clear container half filled with water, some food coloring, and a cup of bleach. Label the cup of bleach with the name “Jesus Christ.” (It’s a good idea to experiment with this activity before the lesson with the bleach you have at home. Bleach comes in different concentrations, and the number of drops of food coloring that your bleach can absorb varies.)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Place the clear container of water on a protected surface (on a plastic tablecloth, inside a large baking sheet, etc.). Explain that when we disobey God’s commandments, that’s called sin. Place a drop or two of food coloring in the water and discuss the following question:
1) When we choose to disobey Heavenly Father's commandments, what happens in our hearts? How do we feel? (Discuss the effects of sin, and the requirement for us to be cleansed from all sin in order to return to live with Heavenly Father.)
Now hold up the cup with the bleach inside. Explain that God sent His son Jesus Christ to redeem us from our sins! If we choose to repent and have Faith in Jesus Christ, He has the power to cleanse us, and make our hearts new again! Pour the bleach into the clear glass and stir until all of the food coloring is absorbed and the water is clear again. Discuss the following question:
2) Why do we need the atonement of Jesus Christ? (He has the power to forgive our sins, to cleanse us, and to make our hearts new again!)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Car Wash | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a story about a car who got dirty and was feeling sad! See if you can find why the car was feeling sad.”
[Watch Video: “The Car Wash | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why was the car feeling sad? (He wanted to be clean, but he couldn’t find a car wash that was strong enough to clean off the mud.)
2) Who do you think the car represents? (The car represents each one of us. When we choose to break God’s commandments, our hearts are stained with our sins.)
3) Who had enough power to clean the car at the end of the video? (The crane truck, and his car wash at the top of the hill.)
4) Who does the crane truck represent? (Jesus Christ! He has the power to cleanse us and make our hearts new again!)
5) Does Jesus Christ stop loving us if we choose to break the commandments? (No, He always loves us! And he invites all to come unto Him!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
1) Who has the power to create a clean heart in us? (Jesus Christ!)
2) If we know we did something wrong, do you think Heavenly Father wants us to hide? Or do you think He wants us to turn to Him and ask for His help? (He wants us to turn to Him and ask for His help!)
And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.
1) What does it mean to repent of our sins? (It means to change the things that God wants us to change.)
2) What does it mean to forsake our sins? (It means to leave our sins behind and not return to them any more.)
3) What does it mean to feel humble? (It’s when we realize we can’t do something ourselves and we need to ask for help.)
4) What do the scriptures tell us we should do after we have repented and humbled ourselves? (Ask God to forgive us!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page and invite the children to color the images from the video. Use this time to talk about repentance, humility, repentance, and the redeeming power of Jesus Christ’s atonement.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk