Receiving Spiritual Light
In the scriptures, God has outlined a pattern for receiving spiritual light. He gives to us “here a little, there a little.” If we receive what He gives to us and hearken to it, then He will give us more. In this manner, our spiritual light can grow brighter and brighter until it is as bright “as the perfect day.” It’s a beautiful principle! We can exercise faith consistently. We can be patient. We can be steady. And we are better equipped to detect and avoid deceptions. The key is learning to faithfully “receive” the little packets of light that God gives to us!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Know My Father Lives"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a backpack, and you will need 5-10 potatoes (or other objects of similar size such as apples, oranges, rocks, or tennis balls).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite a volunteer to stand in the front of the room. Tell the volunteer to try to hold all of the potatoes in only one hand. Start handing the potatoes to the volunteer one at a time and see how many they can hold before they begin to drop the potatoes!
Next, give the backpack to the volunteer and repeat the activity. Tell the volunteer they can use this backpack to “receive” the potatoes and hold them securely! Give the potatoes to the volunteer one at a time again, making sure they have enough time to “receive” the potatoes and load them into the backpack. When you have finished the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) How many potatoes could the volunteer hold in one hand? (Discuss.)
2) Was the volunteer able to “receive” all of the potatoes that they were given? (No.)
3) How many potatoes could the volunteer hold with the backpack? (All of them!)
4) Was the volunteer able to “receive” all of the potatoes this time? (Yes!)
Explain: When Heavenly Father teaches us truth, we have a choice to make. We can open our heart and receive it (like the backpack), or we can close our heart and choose not to receive it. If our heart is open, then Heavenly Father can keep giving us more and more truth!
🎥 V I D E O : "Felix and the Fireflies | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: Now we are going to watch a video about fireflies! In the scriptures, light is a symbol for truth. Let’s watch and see what the fireflies teach us about receiving spiritual truth from Heavenly Father!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did the fireflies teach Felix about receiving spiritual light from Heavenly Father? (Heavenly Father gives us spiritual light a little at a time.)
2) The lights are a symbol for something. Do you remember what the lights represent? (Heavenly Father, truth, spiritual light.)
3) What should we do when Heavenly Father gives us a little bit of spiritual light? (We need to open our heart and receive it!)
4) If we receive the light that He gives us, what will happen next? (He will give us more light!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
24 “That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light...”
1) What is light a symbol for?” (That which is “of God.”)
2) If we receive things of God and continue in God, what will happen next? (We will be given more light!)
3) How can we open our hearts and “receive” that light that God gives us? (Discuss.)
12 “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
1) What is the light a symbol of in this verse? (Jesus Christ.)
2) How can we open our hearts and “receive” the light of Jesus Christ? (Discuss!)
30 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more...”
1) How does Heavenly Father give truth to us? (Line upon line, here a little, there a little.)
2) If we receive the things Heavenly Father teaches us, what will happen next? (He will give more!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the scene from the video. Read the scripture on the coloring page together. Use this time to discuss spiritual light, and receiving truth a little at a time.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.