Mormon was described as a young child as being a sober child, quick to observe (obey) the commandments of the Lord. This week's lesson will explore what it means to be sober and quick to observe and how we can be more like Mormon!
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a long roll of string or yarn! Before you begin the lesson, unroll the string and make a trail that children can follow around the house from room to room. The string should begin in the same room where you will hold the lesson. The trail can end up anywhere you like! Hide a simple prize at the other end of the string (a small treat, a personal note, a photo of someone you love, etc.)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Show the start of the string to the children. Tell them that there is a surprise waiting for them at the other end of the string. All they have to do is follow the string to find it! Invite them to follow the string until they find the end!
Invite the children to return to their seats, and then discuss the following questions.
1) When you heard the directions and understood the game, did you obey quickly? Or did you ignore the directions? (Hopefully they obeyed quickly!)
2) When you were following the string, did you get scared or distracted? Or did you stay focused on the string? (Hopefully they stayed focused on the string!)
3) Were you blessed when you made it to the end of the string? (Yes!)
Explain: You all just did something that God wants us to learn how to do. When we learn to obey Heavenly Father quickly, and when we learn to stay focused on His plan for us, Heavenly Father gives us great blessings!
Say: “Mormon, the prophet, was a righteous man. The scriptures tell us that when he was young like you, he was “quick to observe,” and he was a “sober child.” Quick to observe means to obey quickly. Sober means that your mind is balanced and you can stay focused on what is important.
🎥 V I D E O : "Quick to Observe | Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about a little blue train engine. Let’s see what happens when a nearby town needs help hauling grain!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Was the little blue engine quick to observe, or did he argue and waste time? (Discuss.)
2) Did the little blue engine get distracted or give up? Or did he stay on track? (He stayed on track.)
3) Can you think of something that Heavenly Father has asked us to do that we can be “quick to observe?” (Pay our tithing, say our prayers, read our scriptures, repent, be kind, go to the temple, etc.)
4) Can you think of something that Heavenly Father has asked us to do that helps us stay on track? (Reading the scriptures, praying to Him, repentance, taking the sacrament, etc.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
1 And now I, Mormon, make a record of the things which I have both seen and heard, and call it the Book of Mormon.
1) Who is speaking? (Mormon the prophet.)
2) What is the record that he is writing? (The Book of Mormon/the Golden Plates.)
2 And about the time that Ammaron hid up the records unto the Lord, he came unto me, (I being about ten years of age, and I began to be learned somewhat after the manner of the learning of my people) and Ammaron said unto me: I perceive that thou art a sober child, and art quick to observe;
1) Who hid the records? (The prophet Ammaron.)
2) How old was the prophet Mormon in this verse? (About ten.)
3) What did Ammaron say about Mormon? (He was “quick to observe” and he was a “sober child.”)
4) What does “quick to observe” mean? (Quick to obey.)
5) What does sober mean? (It means that your mind is balanced and you can stay focused on what is important.)
3 Therefore, when ye are about twenty and four years old I would that ye should remember the things that ye have observed concerning this people; and when ye are of that age go to the land Antum, unto a hill which shall be called Shim; and there have I deposited unto the Lord all the sacred engravings concerning this people.
4 And behold, ye shall take the plates of Nephi unto yourself, and the remainder shall ye leave in the place where they are; and ye shall engrave on the plates of Nephi all the things that ye have observed concerning this people.
1) What did Ammaron tell Mormon to do when he is 24 years old? (Go and find the plates of Nephi.)
2) What did Ammoron tell Mormon to do with the plates of Nephi? (He told him to write the things that happened to his people.)
3) Do you think Mormon will do it? (Yes.)
4) What makes you think he will do it? (Because he has a sober mind, and he is quick to observe!)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring page
Invite Children to color the “Quick to Observe” coloring page. Invite the children to think of something that Heavenly Father has asked them to do that they can be “quick to observe” and that will help them stay on track.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.