Priesthood Keys: February 8th-14th
The keys of the priesthood are given to act in God's name, by his authority. This week's lesson bundle explains priesthood keys and what their purpose is.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Baptism"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need three keys! Choose three different keys that go to different things. (Car keys, house keys, etc.). Separate them from your keychain so that they can be passed around separately. You will also need three small pieces of paper and a pencil for each child.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Pass out a pencil and three pieces of paper to each child. Explain that this is a silent activity. Pass around each key, one at a time. Tell the children to inspect the key carefully and try to figure out what the key is for. When they are ready to guess, tell them to silently draw a picture of what they think the key might be for. (One drawing per paper.)
After completing the activity, reveal the correct answers and see who was able to guess correctly!
Now discuss the following questions:
1) What was this key for? (Hold up one of the keys and discuss.)
2) Will this key work for anything else? (No.)
3) What was this key for? (Hold up another key and discuss.)
4) Will this key work for anything else? (No.)
5) What was this key for? (Hold up the last key and discuss.)
6) Will this key work for anything else? (No.)
7) What happens if we don’t have the right keys? (We can’t do those things.)
Today we are going to learn about priesthood keys. Priesthood is the name for God’s power. When Heavenly Father gives the priesthood to someone, it’s kind of like giving them keys. If they don’t have the right priesthood keys, then they can’t do those things.
🎥 V I D E O : "The Castle and the Keys | A Story About Priesthood Keys"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a king who gives some keys to his servants. See if you can remember what keys the king gives to the servants.”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Do you remember what keys the king gave to his servants? (The watchman had the key to
the tower, the gardener had the key to the garden, and the guard had the key to the castle gate.)
2) Who did the servants get the keys from? (From the king.)
3) Did each of the servants get all the keys? (No, they only got the keys they needed to do what the king asked them to do.)
4) Can you remember some of the priesthood keys from the video? (The keys for baptism, administering the sacrament, and giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost.)
5) Who do we get priesthood keys from? (From Heavenly Father.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
1 Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins;
1) Who is receiving priesthood keys in this verse? (Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery.)
2) What are some of the priesthood keys they received? (The keys of the ministering of angels, the gospel of repentance, and of baptism.)
3) Who did they get the keys from? (Heavenly Father, through John the Baptist.)
21 And the Lord said unto him: I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people when I am again ascended into heaven.
22 And again the Lord called others, and said unto them likewise; and he gave unto them power to baptize...
1) Who is receiving priesthood keys in this verse? (Jesus Christ’s disciples that He called among the Nephites.)
2) What priesthood keys did they receive? (The keys of baptism.)
3) Who did they get the keys from? (Jesus Christ.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to draw the symbols for the corresponding priesthood keys. Use this time to talk about priesthood power and priesthood keys.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.