The priesthood is God's power on earth. With this power God has established order and authority to exercise this power in His name. Our Heavenly Father is a God of order. The lesson this week explains why God has established ordination and requires a proper exercise of the priesthood power.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "The Church of Jesus Christ"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need your driver's license, and the “pretend” version of your driver’s license provided on the last page of the lesson bundle. If you do not have access to a real driver’s license, you could search the internet for an image of a driver’s license.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Start by showing your real driver's license to the children. Pass it around so they can look at it. Discuss the following question as they are looking at the driver’s license:
1) Do you know what this is? (A driver’s license!)
2) What does it mean? (It means you are allowed to drive on public roads!)
3) If I show this to a police officer, would the officer let me drive? (Yes!)
Now, show your “pretend” driver’s license to the children and discuss the following questions.
1) Here is a driver’s license that I made myself. If I show this to a police officer, would the officer let me drive? (No, we have to have the real one!)
2) Why can’t we make my own driver’s licenses? (We are not allowed to. We don’t have the authority. We must go to someone who has the authority.)
Hold up the two driver’s licenses for comparison and explain the following: In order for a driver’s license to work, it must be given by someone who has the authority. We have to follow their directions, and we must get permission from them to drive. If we don’t have the authority and we try to do it by ourselves, it won’t work, we would be breaking the law!
It’s the same with priesthood ordinances. When we are baptized and when we take the sacrament, we can’t just do those things by ourselves. Jesus Christ has the authority to lead His church, and we must follow His directions and we have to get permission from Him to do those things.
🎥 V I D E O : "The Go Kart Race | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about three animals who are racing in a go-kart race! But when the race ends, there is a problem. Watch and see if you can tell what the problem was.
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was the problem when the race ended? (Lots of different people in the crowd tried to say who the winner was.)
2) When the people in the crowd tried to say who the winner was, did it work? (No.)
3) Why not? (Because they didn’t have the authority.)
4) Who had the authority to say who the winner was? (Only the race director had the authority to say who the winner was.)
5) Who has the authority to lead Jesus Christ’s church? (Jesus Christ.)
6) If we want to do something in Jesus Christ’s church, like baptisms, or the sacrament, can we do it by ourselves? (No, it can only be done with Jesus Christ’s authority.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.
1) How is the power of godliness shown to us? (Through priesthood ordinances.)
2) What is a priesthood ordinance? (An act or ceremony that is done by the authority of the priesthood.)
21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;
1) Can we perform priesthood ordinances if we don’t have authority? (No.)
2) Who has the authority? (Jesus Christ.)
3) Does Jesus Christ give His authority to anyone else? (Yes. It’s called priesthood authority.)
22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
1) Who was teaching? (Jesus Christ.)
2) Why were they astonished when Jesus Christ was teaching them? (Because he taught with authority.)
18 And it came to pass that Alma, having authority from God, ordained priests; even one priest to every fifty of their number did he ordain to preach unto them, and to teach them concerning the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
1) Who was ordaining priests? (Alma.)
2) Did Alma do it by himself? Or did he have the authority to do it? (He had the authority.)
3) Where did he get the authority? (From God.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the coloring page from the video. Use this time to discuss the authority of Jesus Christ and priesthood authority.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.