Pray Always- Come Follow Me: July 13th -19th
Pray always. In Alma 34 the people are taught to pray over their flocks and herds. They are taught to pray over their enemies and to pray for their own welfare and the welfare of those around them. This lesson will help your families apply this lesson in prayer to their daily lives.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "A Chid's Prayer"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Have a cell phone nearby to use for the introduction activity. Make arrangements to call a friend or family member during the lesson to demonstrate how the phone works.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold up the cell phone and discuss the following questions:
1) What’s this? (A phone!)
2) What is it used for? (Talking to someone!)
3) Can I just start talking or do I need to find someone’s name first to call them? (You need to find their name to dial their number.)
4) This is the microphone! (Point to the microphone.) Do you know what the microphone is for? (You speak into it.)
5) This is the earpiece. (Point to the earpiece.) Do you know what the earpiece is for? (So you can hear what the other person is saying.)
Now use the phone to call a friend or family member! Hold up the phone so that the children can see you find the person’s name in your contacts list. Have a brief conversation with the person you called. After you have ended the phone call, read the following verse from the Bible:
[Read Psalm 4:1]
“Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.”
Say: “Did you know that talking on the phone to someone is kind of like saying our prayers? When we want to talk to Heavenly Father, we call His name. That’s like finding someone’s name on a cell phone. We can speak (point to the microphone) and we listen (point to the earpiece) just like with a cell phone.
🎥 V I D E O : "Pray Always / Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about children who are talking with Heavenly Father. See if you can remember some of the things that they want to talk to Him about!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What were some of the things that these children wanted to tell Heavenly Father? (Discuss.)
2) Do you think Heavenly Father wants us to tell Him when we are sad? (Yes!)
3) Do you think Heavenly Father wants us to tell Him when we are happy? (Yes!)
4) Do you think Heavenly Father wants us to tell Him when we are worried or scared? (Yes!)
5) Why do you think He wants us to talk to Him all the time? (Because we are His children and He loves us!)
6) When we are praying, should we listen too? Why? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E & A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the "Pray Always" activity page.
*** "Pray Always” activity page DOWNLOAD
Say: “Amulek taught us about prayer in the scriptures. He taught us some things about what to pray for, when to pray and where to pray. Look at the pictures on your paper and listen carefully. Draw a line from the child to each one when you hear it!”
17 Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;
18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.
19 Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
20 Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
21 Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
22 Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
23 Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
24 Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
25 Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E S
Color in the scenes from the video and use the time as an opportunity to talk about prayer.
Follow the directions on the activity pages and play the “All Things” memory game! Use this activity as an opportunity to discuss how God’s creations can teach us about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.