Personal Revelation: Dec. 26th-Jan. 1st
As parents (and leaders) it is natural to want to teach our children about everything we know and everything we have learned. But, if that is our only goal we are missing the mark. Our knowledge is limited. But God is all knowing! We will not be able to be with our children to guide them at every turn throughout their lives. But the Holy Ghost can be with them always!
Personal revelation is the way that we develop our own personal relationship with Heavenly Father, and it is the same for each of our children - no matter how young! This week’s lesson will help you teach your children how to seek truth from the Lord on their own, and to recognize truth by the power of the Holy Ghost.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Search, Ponder, and Pray"
➤ P R E P E R A T I O N:
You will need a long roll of yarn or string, some tape, and an image of Jesus Christ or Heavenly Father. Cut the string into several long pieces (10 feet or more).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite everyone to stand on one side of the room and place the image of Jesus Christ or Heavenly Father on the other side of the room. Give a string to each child, and tape the other end of each string to the image.
Explain: “This string represents a personal link between you and your Heavenly Father. When Heavenly Father sends the Holy Ghost to tell us that something is true, that’s called personal revelation! Personal revelation is kind of like having your own string that leads from Heavenly Father, straight to you!”
Discuss the following while everyone is still standing (and holding the strings):
1) Does everyone have a link that goes straight to Heavenly Father? (Yes.)
2) Does Heavenly Father want us to talk to Him? (Yes!)
3) How do we talk to Heavenly Father? (Through prayer!)
4) Does Heavenly Father want to talk to us? (Yes.)
5) How does He talk to us? (Talk about the different ways that Heavenly Father can talk to us, such as: through the Holy Ghost, through the scriptures, through His living prophets.)
Collect the string and invite all participants to sit down again.
🎥 V I D E O : " What's Inside the Box | A Story About Personal Revelation"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about revelation! Heavenly Father has promised to reveal truth to us by the power of the Holy Ghost. Let’s watch and see what it means to reveal something!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What does it mean if the Lord reveals something to us? (It means the Lord is showing us something that we didn’t know before.)
2) What do we need to do to find out if the scriptures are really from Heavenly Father? (Read the scriptures, think about them, and ask Heavenly Father in prayer if they are true.)
3) If we know by the Holy Ghost that the scriptures are really from Heavenly Father, and they really teach us about the truth, do you think that will make us want to read them more? (Yes!)
4) Why? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture verses and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read the first part of Moroni 10:4]
" And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true;
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Moroni.)
2) When he says “receive these things,” what is he talking about? (He’s talking about when we have the scriptures, and when we open them and read them and think about them!)
3) If we want a testimony that they are really from Heavenly Father, what does he tell us to do? (Ask God in the name of Christ.)
[Read the second part of Moroni 10:4]
" ...and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
1) What is a sincere heart? (It means you are not making fun or playing a trick on Heavenly Father.)
2) What does real intent mean? (It means you are getting ready and preparing to follow Jesus Christ.)
3) How will Heavenly Father tell us that the scriptures are true? (By the power of the Holy Ghost!)
[Read Moroni 10:5]
" And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
1) What can the Holy Ghost teach us about? (The Holy Ghost can teach us the truth of all things!)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out a coloring page, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Read the scripture at the top of the coloring page. Use this time as an opportunity to discuss personal revelation, testimony, and the Holy Ghost.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Looking for an alternative to Youtube?
As parents, we’ve been frustrated many times with the “suggested” videos that are recommended to our children, and the unavoidable ads on Youtube. If the content we are seeking is only available to watch on YouTube, then it’s something we just have to navigate. But, if the same content is available on a safer platform, it would be a no-brainer, right?
On Living Scriptures Streaming, you can watch every single Latter Day Kids video that’s ever been made, and you’ll also discover 1,000’s of additional uplifting movies and shows!
Protect your kids, save some frustration, and support a platform that celebrates positive and wholesome media! Try Living Scriptures Streaming completely free for 60 days with this link: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk
No risk, no commitments. If you don’t like it, you can cancel before the trial ends with no other obligation. But, we’re pretty sure you’ll love it!