If Nephi had a theme for his ministry it was this, "Go and do the things which the Lord hat commanded." He stated this same truth over and over again throughout his writings. He knew that obedience to the commandments was the way back to his Father. This week in our video and lesson bundle this same truth is taught.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Play a few rounds of “Simon Says” with the children.
(If you are not familiar with Simon Says, participants must follow the commands preceded with “Simon says” (Simon says touch your ears) and they must ignore the commands given without “Simon says” (Touch your nose). If a participant makes a mistake, he/she is out!)
After playing Simon Says, ask the following discussion questions with the children.
1) If you wanted to win this game, what did you have to do? (Follow directions from Simon)
2) In real life, what do we have to do if we want to be the most happy? (Obey Heavenly Father’s commandments.)
🎥 V I D E O : "Diego the Dune Buggy: A Story About Testimony"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about obeying. There’s a boy who needs to get out of a tunnel before his batteries run out. The boy doesn’t know which way to go to get out of the tunnel. But his dad knows the way and he tells the boy which way to go. Let’s see if the boy chooses to obey his father’s instructions, or if the boy chooses not to obey.”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did the boy choose to obey his Father? (Yes)
2) What happened when he obeyed his Father? (He made it out of the tunnel.)
3) What do you think would happen if the boy didn’t obey? (Discuss.)
4) The dad asked the boy “Do you trust me?” What does it mean to trust someone? (Discuss.)
5) How do we know if we can trust Heavenly Father when he gives us commandments?
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures together and discuss the questions that follow:
1) What is the commandment that Heavenly Father gave to Lehi’s family?
(Go back and get the plates).
1) What did Nephi’s brothers do when they heard the commandment? (They murmured.)
2) What does murmur mean? (Discuss.)
3) Why do you think they murmured? (Discuss)
1) What did Nephi do when he heard the commandment? (He said “I will go and do!”)
2) Why do you think he obeyed Heavenly Father’s commandment?
3) Do we sometimes murmur when Heavenly Father gives us a commandment? Why? (Discuss.)
4) Why should we obey instead of murmur? (Discuss.)
5) Why does Heavenly Father give us commandments? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Activity #1: Invite children to complete the maze without any mistakes by following the instructions on the next page. If children are able to read, you could have one child read the instructions to a second child who is completing the maze.
Activity #2: Invite children to color and cut out the props on the third page (from the video). Have children take turns hiding the “finish” sign. Also hide the props along the pathway to represent temptations and distractions. The person who hid the “finish” sign will give voice commands to other participants to guide them to the finish. Once the “finish” marker is discovered, rotate to give everyone a turn.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.