Nehemiah Rebuilds the Walls of Jerusalem: July 18th-24th
Sometimes we are guided to do hard things, as we strive to follow Jesus Christ. Nehemiah was determined to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem when they were destroyed. Many mocked him and said that it couldn't be done. Through faith and diligence and hard work the wall of Jerusalem were rebuilt. How can we be like Nehemiah and diligently do what we feel guided to do?
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Will Follow God's Plan"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need 10 - 20 sheets of printer paper and some tape.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Hand the children the stack paper. Tell them that these papers represent “bricks!” Instruct them to build a brick wall by taping the papers to an empty section of a wall nearby. Help the children with the tape and with the design of the wall as needed. If no wall space is available, you can lay out the brick wall on the floor.
After you have completed the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) How long do you think it took you to build this wall? (Discuss.)
2) How long would it take you if you had to use stone bricks instead of paper bricks? (Discuss.)
3) How long do you think it would take if you had to build a wall that was 40 feet high and 2.5 miles long? (Discuss.)
Hold up one of the paper bricks and explain the following: The wall of Jerusalem is about 40 feet high and 2.5 miles long! In the Old Testament, Nehemiah and the Israelites were asked to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem! Many people thought this was impossible. There were lots of people who tried to stop them. But the Israelites showed great faith, and they finished building the wall in only 52 days!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Scriptures Turn My Heart to Christ | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about when Nehemiah and the Israelites rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem. Let’s watch and see how they did it!”
[Watch Video: “Nehemiah Rebuilds the Walls of Jerusalem - Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Were the Israelites alone when they were rebuilding the wall? Or was there another power with them? (God’s power was with them.)
2) Why do you think God blessed Nehemiah and the Israelites when they were building the wall? (They showed faith, and they were doing what God asked them to do.)
3) When God asks us to do something, do you think He will help us too? (Yes!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read Nehemiah 6:3]
And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?
1) What did Nehemiah say when his enemies tried to trick him and make him stop working? (Discuss.)
2) Was Nehemiah working for himself? Or was he doing God’s work? (Discuss.)
3) Can you think of some things that the Lord has asked us to do to make a spiritual wall in our hearts to protect from spiritual danger? (Discuss. You could also write answers on the paper “bricks.”)
[Read 1 Nephi 3:7]
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
1) Can you remember some of the things that the Lord commanded Nephi to do? (Go back to Jerusalem and get the brass plates, build a ship, etc.)
2) Do you think those things were easy? (Discuss.)
3) What did Nephi say when he was commanded by the Lord? (He said he will go and do it!)
4) Do you think the Lord will also help us when we try to keep his commandments? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page, one for each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about some of the things that the Lord has commanded us to do, and God’s power and promise to help us when we are doing His work.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
A special thank you to our sponsor Tiny 3D Temples who helped make this week's video possible! They are giving away a FREE Temple Music Light!
Your child will love such a beautiful and meaningful night light!
It plays music, lights up in the dark, and is a daily reminder of the temple!