Love God with All Thine Heart: May 16th-22nd
We are commanded to love God with all of our heart, might, mind and strength. This week's lesson explores this doctrine.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Feel My Savior's Love"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Collect several small rocks of different shapes, colors, and sizes. If you do not have access to any small rocks, use a variety of small toys as an alternate option.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Arrange the rocks in a row and invite each child to examine the rocks closely without touching them. After the children have each had a chance to look closely at the rocks, invite them to return to their seats and discuss the question below.
1) If you had to pick only one of them, which one of these rocks do you love the very most? (Allow each child to share their answer and explain their choice.)
Explain: God loves us very much! But, God has given us freedom to choose what we love, just like you got to choose which rock you loved the most. He waits to see if we will choose to love Him with all of our hearts!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Rock Collection | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about a boy who likes to collect rocks! One day, when he was exploring and looking for new rocks, he found a big surprise! Let’s watch, and see what he found!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did the boy find when he was exploring? (He found a big purple rock!)
2) How do you know he loved the purple rock with all of his heart? (He wanted that rock the most.)
3) How do you know he loved the purple rock with all of his mind? (He had to think of a way to bring the rock home.)
4) How do you know he loved the purple rock with all of his strength? (He had to work hard and use all of his strength to try to move the heavy rock.)
5) The rock was a symbol for something. Do you remember what the rock represents? (It represents the Lord.)
6) What do you think it means to love the Lord with all of our heart? (Discuss.)
7) What do you think it means to love the Lord with all of our mind? (Discuss.)
8) What do you think it means to love the Lord with all of our strength? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord is speaking.)
2) Why do you think God wants us to love Him? (Discuss.)
3) Will God ever force us to love Him? (No. He wants us to choose Him.)
[Read Mark 12:30-31]
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Jesus is speaking. Someone asked Him what was the most important commandment, and this was Jesus’ answer.)
2) What did Jesus say was the first great commandment? (To love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength.)
3) What did Jesus say was the second great commandment? (To love others as we love ourselves.)
[Read 1 John 3:16]
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
1) How does God feel about all of us? (He loves us so much that He gave His only begotten Son so that we could have everlasting life!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Remind them that the rock is a symbol for Jesus Christ. Use this time to discuss what it means to love God with all of our heart, mind, and strength.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!