Peter showed great faith when he asked Jesus if he could walk on the water. He showed even greater faith by stepping into the water and walking to the Savior! But at some point, Peter turned his thoughts away from Jesus and started to focus on the winds and the waves.
Fear took over, and Peter cried out to the Lord, “Save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand and caught Peter, and then the Lord continued to teach Peter about strengthening his faith.
Right now, a raging sea of lies and spiritual darkness threatens to pull us and our children down into its depths. All around us the waves of temptation, fear, and opposition are swelling. Can we really make it through all of this?
“Come unto me!” Jesus says.
Where is our focus?
We can worry about the wind and the waves, or we can look to Jesus and walk to Him in faith! And if we do lose our focus we can cry out to Him. He is there! He is ready to catch us! He will not leave us alone!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "I Will Walk With Jesus"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N:
You will need some masking tape, an image of Jesus Christ, and several towels.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Make a “Balance beam” on the floor using the masking tape. Place the image of Jesus at the end of the balance beam. Invite some volunteers to stand on both sides of the balance beam and wave the towels in the air to simulate a wind storm. Invite another volunteer to walk across the balance beam to the image of Jesus. Challenge the volunteer to ignore the wind and to stay focused on Jesus Christ. Allow each of the children to have a turn walking across the balance beam.
After you complete the activity, invite the children to return to their seats.
Explain: Jesus invites all to come unto Him! Walking on the balance beam is like having faith in Jesus Christ. The towels and the wind are like the fears and temptations that we must face when we are in the world. If we focus on the wind and the storms, our faith will become weaker. But if we focus on Jesus Christ, our faith will become stronger and we can keep taking steps closer to Him!
🎥 V I D E O : "Peter Walks on the Water | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about when Jesus invited Peter to walk to Him on the water! Let’s watch and see what happens!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) How were the disciples feeling when they were in the wind storm? (They were afraid.)
2) What did the disciples feel when they knew Jesus was with them? (They were not afraid any more, and Peter even asked if he could go on the water to Jesus!)
3) How did Peter have the power to walk on the water? (He asked Jesus if he could go to him on the water and Jesus said yes, then Peter had faith in Jesus Christ.)
4) What happened next? (See what the children remember from the story.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
1) What happened when Peter started to focus on the wind and the waves? (His faith became weaker and he was afraid. He started to sink.)
2) Was walking on water an easy thing for Peter to do? (No. Peter needed to show great faith in Jesus Christ to do this.)
3) What are some things that the Lord has asked us to do that might not always be easy for us to do? (Discuss things like being reverent, forgiving others, showing kindness to others, being honest, etc.)
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
1) What did Jesus do when Peter was sinking? (He rescued Peter and taught Him about faith.)
2) Why do you think Jesus rescued Peter? (Because He loves Peter!)
3) How will Jesus feel about us if our faith is weak sometimes? (He will always love us! He will rescue us and He will keep trying to help us have stronger faith!)
Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
1) What is happening in this verse? (This is the story of David and Goliath.)
2) Did David have courage because he was really good at using a sling? (No, that’s not what Daivd said to Goliath.)
3) Why did David have courage? (He had faith in the Lord and he knew the Lord was with him. He didn’t focus on the things that he was afraid of. He focused on the Lord’s strength instead.)
4) What are some things that we can do to stay focused on the Lord instead of being focused on our fears? (We can do things that will help us remember Him: like praying, reading verses from the scriptures, singing primary songs or hymns, learning about the stories of Jesus, etc.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring page, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about having faith in the Lord and trying to stay focused on Him.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
How can I download Latter Day Kids videos to watch offline?
This is one of the questions we are asked most frequently, and the easiest way is with the Living Scriptures Streaming app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to save, and click the download button (right beneath the video description)!
New to Living Scriptures Streaming?
Try it out for two whole months without spending a dime! We’ve partnered with Living Scriptures Streaming to get you an exclusive 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers!
We love Living Scriptures and we use it frequently. We hope you’ll join us there!