"Living the Gospel Brings Joy"- Come Follow Me: Oct. 19th-25th
Living the gospel "doesn’t mean the path will always be easy or understandable, but the blessings we’re promised from staying strong will continue to unfold throughout our lives and even after."
As we strive to live the gospel there is lasting happiness and joy to be found in this life, and in the next. We hope this week's lesson will invite learning and understanding as your family studies this topic!
(To read the rest of the article cited above from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, click the link below.)
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "I Feel My Savior's Love"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need an egg that is sealed inside of a ziploc bag.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Hold the ziploc bag with the egg in it high in the air over a hard surface (a hardwood floor, table, etc.) While you are holding the bag up, ask the following questions:
1) What do you think will happen if I let go of this bag? (It will fall down.)
2) Will it go up? Or will it float in the air? (No.)
3) Why not?” (It doesn’t work like that! The law of gravity will make it fall down.)
4) What will happen to the egg when it lands on the floor/table? (It will break!)
5) How do you know it will break? (Because an egg is fragile and it isn’t strong enough to land on a hard surface without breaking.)
Say “Okay, let’s see if you were right!”
Now let go of the plastic bag and let the egg fall down onto the hard surface. .
Explain: Gravity was pulling this egg down, living the Gospel does the opposite, it can lift our hearts up! If we keep the commandments and have faith in Jesus Christ, our hearts will be filled with joy and with the love of God!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Hot Air Balloon | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about how a hot air balloon works! While you are watching, see if you can remember why our hearts are like a hot air balloon!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What makes a hot air balloon go up? (It has to have hot air inside.)
2) Can cold air make the hot air balloon go up? (No, it doesn’t work like that.)
3) Can sand or water make the hot air balloon go up? (No, it doesn’t work like that.)
4) What fills our hearts with joy and with the love of God? (Keeping the commandments and following Jesus Christ.)
5) If we ignore the commandments, will that lead to happiness, joy, and the love of God? (No, it doesn’t work like that.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
2 And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.
1) Was anyone fighting or was there any contention? (No.)
2) Why not? (They were all converted unto the Lord.)
3) What does “converted unto the Lord mean? (It means they believe Him and they follow Him.)
15 And it came to pass that there was n contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.
1) Was there any contention in the land? (No.)
2) Why not? (Because of the love of God that was in their hearts.)
5 And there were great and marvelous works wrought by the disciples of Jesus, insomuch that they did heal the sick, and raise the dead, and cause the lame to walk, and the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear; and all manner of miracles did they work among the children of men; and in nothing did they work miracles save it were in the name of Jesus.
1) What are some things that the disciples of Jesus Christ were able to do? (Discuss.)
2) Why do you think they were able to do so many miracles among the people? (Discuss.)
3) What do you think you could do today that would fill your heart with joy and with the love of God? (Discuss.)
➤ C O L O R I N G P A G E
Pass out the coloring page
Invite the children to color the scene from “The Hot Air Balloon.” Read the scripture that is on the coloring page with the children. Use this time to talk about the joy that comes from following Jesus Christ and keeping His commandments!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.