"Lift Up the Hands that Hang Down": July 19th-25th
Have you ever been the recipient of a small act of love or service that blessed your life beyond the act itself? And have you ever served somebody (maybe even anonymously) and felt like YOU were the one blessed by the experience? Serving and loving those around us is a joy! It's what Jesus did while he walked on the earth. He was aware of others, their needs, their feelings. Developing this Christlike attribute is vital for progression and happiness.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Come, Follow Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a hula hoop, or anything else that is flat, round, and large (like a pizza pan). You could also use a straight object, such as a yardstick.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
You will be playing a variation of a group activity sometimes referred to as “Helium Hula Hoop.”
Invite all of the members of the group to stand in a circle and hold out their index fingers at waist level. Explain that their goal is to make sure that their fingers are always touching the hula hoop. Balance the hula hoop on everyone’s fingers so that everyone’s fingers are making contact, and then let go. (The hula hoop will rise into the air mysteriously!)
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) Was it hard to lift up the hula hoop? (No, it was really easy!)
2) All you were trying to do was touch the hula hoop, so why do you think the hula hoop went up in the air? (Because every time someone touched the hula hoop, it went up a little more!)
3) If everyone was trying not to touch the hula hoop, what do you think would happen? (It would fall down to the ground!)
Explain: Jesus Christ has asked us to love one another. He told us to succor the weak, to lift up the hands that hang down, and to strengthen the feeble knees. Did you know that lifting others is kind of like lifting the hula hoop! We just have to do our part.
1) What are some things that we can do to lift others? (Discuss.)
2) If everyone is willing to help others, what do you think will happen? (Relate this to how easy it was to lift the hula hoop.)
3) If no one is willing to help others, what do you think will happen? (Discuss.)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Bike Ride | A Story About Helping Others"
Now we are going to watch a video about a boy who doesn’t want to help others. Later he changes his mind and decides to help others! Watch, and see if you can find out why he changes his mind!
[Watch Video: “The Bike Ride | A Story About Helping Others]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why didn’t the boy want to help others at first? (He was not thinking about the other people and how they would feel. He was thinking about himself.)
2) What happened that made him change his mind? (The raccoon made fun of him and he felt sad, and then he understood how he was making the other animals feel.)
3) What did he do? (He found a way to help the other animals go fast with him on his bike so that they could have fun too!)
4) Do you think Jesus Christ knows how other people are feeling? How do you think he knows? (He suffered all things, and He understands how we feel.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
5 Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.
1) What does it mean to succor the weak? (It means to help them.)
2) When do our hands hang down? (When we are sad or tired.)
3) What are “feeble knees?” (It means someone who is tired or weak.)
4) What are some things we can do to help strengthen others? (Discuss.)
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
1) What did Jesus Christ command us to do? (To love one another!)
2) Who is our example for how to love one another? (Jesus.)
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1) How will other people know that we follow Jesus Christ? (They will know it when they see that we love one another.)
2) What can we do to show that we love others, instead of just saying it? (We can serve them and help them.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the coloring page from the video. Use this time to discuss the importance of having compassion for others and finding ways to lift others up and help them.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!