Letting Go of Worldly Things
The Lord has asked us to set aside the things of the world. Living in a fallen world, it can be difficult to let go of worldly things. In D&C 30 the Lord pointed out that his followers were doing just that, worrying more about worldly things than the things of God. As your family uses these lesson materials we hope they will lift and inspire your families and begin a great discussion on how we can put aside the things of the world and embrace the things of God.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Know My Father Lives"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a jar and a ball (or some other round object) that is slightly smaller than the opening of the jar.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite a volunteer to attempt to reach into the jar and remove the ball with their hand. (They should be unable to remove their hand from the jar unless they let go of the ball). Allow other volunteers to try as well.
Once you have finished the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) What happened when you were holding onto the ball? (You couldn’t get your hand out of the jar.)
2) What did you have to do if you wanted to get your hand out of the jar? (You had to let go of the ball.)
3) If you kept holding onto the ball, could you ever get your hand out? (No. Only if you let go of the ball.)
4) Can you think of some things that can trap us when we are trying to follow Heavenly Father? (Discuss things like lying, contention, stealing, being unkind, sin, etc.)
5) Does Heavenly Father want us to hold on to those things? Or does he want us to let go of them? (He wants us to let go.)
🎥 V I D E O : "Layla the Ladybug | Letting Go of Worldly Things"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about Layla the Ladybug. Layla wants to fly high in the forest. But she can’t fly high until she lets go of some things. See if you can find out what she needs to let go of.”
[Watch Video: “Layla the Ladybug | Letting Go of Worldly Things”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did Layla have to let go of if she wanted to fly high in the sky? (The rock, the leaves, and the boots.)
2) Why was Layla holding on to those things? (She was afraid that the other ladybugs would make fun of her, and she thought those things would make her happy.)
3) Did those things really make Layla happy? (No.)
4) Who knows the best way for Layla to be happy? (Heavenly Father.)
5) What did Layla decide to do? (She decided to let go of the other things and follow Heavenly Father.)
6) Who knows the best way for all of us to be happy? (Heavenly Father.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
1 Behold, I say unto you, David, that you have feared man and have not relied on me for strength as you ought.
1) Who is Heavenly Father talking to in this scripture? (David Whitmer.)
2) What warning did Heavenly Father give to David Whitmer? (That he feared man and wasn’t relying on God for his strength.)
3) Are we afraid of what others will think of us sometimes? (Discuss.)
4) What would Heavenly Father tell us to do? (Discuss.)
24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
1) What is mammon? (It means worldly things.)
2) Who knows the best way for all of us to be happy? Heavenly Father? Or the world? (Heavenly Father.)
3) Can we serve God and hold on to worldly things at the same time? (No.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the image from the video as you talk together about letting go of the things of the world to follow Heavenly Father.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.