There are more temples on the earth today than at any other time in history! We live in an extraordinary time! Heavenly Father knew that in the last days, we would need temples. Temple worship is an important part of the work we are called to do and an important part of our spiritual development. This lesson highlights some of the blessings we can receive through temple worship.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Love To See The Temple"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a photo of a temple, and a small toy car for each child.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Place the image of the temple on the floor on the opposite side of the room. Give each child a toy car, and invite them to “drive” their cars along the floor together towards the temple. Invite them to park their car at the temple, and then have them return to their seats.
After you complete the activity, explain:
Heavenly Father has always commanded his people to build temples. There were temples in the bible, and there were also temples in the Book of Mormon. But we live in a special time! There are more temples on the earth today than any other time in the history of the world!
Now discuss the following questions:
1) Why do you think Heavenly Father has commanded us to build so many temples on the earth today? (So that we can all have a temple close to us!)
2) What temple are you closest to? (Talk about a nearby temple!)
3) Who has Heavenly Father invited to go to the temple? (Heavenly Father invites everyone to prepare themselves and to go to the temple!)
🎥 V I D E O : "Let's Go to the Temple | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about going to the temple! Heavenly Father wanted us to have temples close to us in the last days. Let’s watch and see why he wanted us to have temples close by!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What are some reasons that Heavenly Father wanted us to have temples in the last days? (Because we would need them!)
2) What are some of the blessings we can receive at the temple? (We make covenants with Heavenly Father and receive promises, we learn more about Jesus Christ, our families are sealed together by the priesthood, we can receive personal revelation to guide us.)
3) When the prophets in the scriptures from long ago saw our day, what did they see? (They saw that temples would be on the earth!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The prophet Isaiah was speaking. He lived over two thousand years ago!)
2) What is “the mountain of the Lord’s house?” (The mountain of the Lord’s house is the temple!)
3) What did Isaiah see in the last days? (He saw temples!)
4) Do we have temples today? (Yes!)
[Read the first part of Isaiah 2:3]
And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths…
1) Where can the Lord teach us of His ways? (In the temple!)
2) Where can we learn to follow the Lord more closely? (In the temple!)
[Read the first part of 2 Nephi 5:16]
And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things…
1) Why do you think the Lord commanded Nephi to build a temple? (Discuss the blessings that we receive at the temple!)
2) Do you think the temple was just for Nephi? Or do you think the Lord wanted all of the Nephites to go to the temple? (It was for all of the Nephites!)
3) Nephi and his people lived a long time ago. Do you think that the Lord wants us to have the same blessings today? (Yes!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a coloring page, on to each child. Invite Children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about ways we can show kindness to others.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk