Labor with Your Might
The principle of work is eternal. The Lord, himself works diligently to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. This week's lesson explains the importance of work and how we can achieve great things by working hard, line upon line, a little at a time.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Will Follow God's Plan"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a handful of dry beans (any type) and a small jar. You will also need empty wall space (that several people could lean against).
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite everyone to do the “wall sit” exercise! You’ll use the beans to count how long everyone can hold the pose by placing one bean at a time into the jar. Tell them that the goal is to get as many beans in the jar as they can! Keep adding beans to the jar until the last person quits the challenge.
Once you have completed the activity, invite everyone to return to their seats. Count the beans and allow everyone to catch their breath! Explain that you did this activity to help everyone understand what hard work feels like.
1) Was this challenge harder at the beginning? Or at the end? (At the end!)
2) So when were you doing the most work? (At the end.)
3) In this activity, you were working hard to stay sitting against the wall! What other things can you think of that you could work hard for? (Discuss ideas!)
4) Is work a bad thing? Or is work a good thing? (A good thing.)
5) Why is work a good thing? (Discuss good things that come from work such as: growth, learning, health, strength, skills, confidence, etc.)
6) Do you think Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know how to work hard? (Yes.)
7) Do you think Heavenly Father wants us to learn how to work hard? Why? (Discuss.)
🎥 V I D E O : " Bastian the Baby Elephant | A Story about Hard Work"
Now we are going to watch a video about a baby elephant named Bastian! Bastian has a goal that he really wants to accomplish. Let’s see if Bastian knows how to work hard to accomplish his goal!
[Watch Video: “Bastian the Baby Elephant | A Story about Hard Work”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was Bastian’s goal? (He wanted to participate in “The Great Rock Pull!”)
2) What did Bastian have to do to accomplish his goal? (He had to work hard!)
3) Why didn’t Bastian stop at the finish line? Why did he keep going? (He wanted to do his very best!)
4) How do you think Bastian felt after he worked hard and did his very best? (Very happy!)
5) Do you think Heavenly Father wants all of us to feel like that? (Yes.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
1) Does Heavenly Father have work to do? (Yes!)
2) What is Heavenly Father’s work? (To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.)
3 Behold, I say unto you that it is my will that you should go forth and not tarry, neither be idle but labor with your might—
1) What does it mean to be “idle?” (Being idle means to avoid work, or be lazy.)
2) Instead of being idle, what does the Lord want us to do? (Labor with our might!)
3) What does “labor with our might” mean? (It means to work as hard as we can!)
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Jesus.)
2) What did He say? (He works, and Heavenly Father works.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the “Labor With Your Might” coloring page. Use this time to discuss the principle of work, and how it can bless our lives.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.