Kind Words: Aug. 29th-Sept. 4th
The Savior taught us to be kind to one another. He, who was despised, hated, persecuted, beaten, and eventually killed. We can choose, in our interactions with our family, friends, and neighbors, to be kind. It isn't always easy, especially when others are unkind to us. Discuss with your family the ways that Christ showed kindness during his ministry despite others around him being unkind. How can we follow His example?
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Kindness Begins With Me"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a live plant of some kind. If you do not have a live plant, you can use a fake plant or a photo of a plant.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Place the plant in the center of the room and invite the children to surround the plant and to shout mean things to the plant for 30 seconds. Next, instruct the children to say kind things to the plant using a soft and pleasant voice for 30 seconds.
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) How did you feel when you were shouting mean things to the plant? (Discuss.)
2) How do you think it would feel if you were the plant? (Discuss.)
3) How did you feel when you were saying kind things to the plant? (Discuss.)
4) How do you think it would feel if you were the plant? (Discuss.)
5) How has Heavenly Father told us to treat one another? Why? (Discuss.)
🎥 V I D E O : "The Angry Robot | A Story About Using Kind Words"
Now we are going to watch a video about a robot who was feeling angry! Let’s watch and see what happens when someone speaks kind words to the robot!
[Watch Video: “The Angry Robot | A Story About Using Kind Words”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What happened when the robot maker was shouting at the robot? (The robot felt more angry.)
2) How did the robot maker feel when he was shouting? (He got angry too!)
3) What happened when the robot maker spoke kind words to the robot with a soft voice? (They both felt less angry.)
4) What can we do to help others feel peace? (We can say kind things to them with a kind voice.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
1) What can we do to turn away anger? (Give a soft answer with kind words.)
And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men.
1) Were other people always kind to Jesus Christ? (No, many people were very mean to Jesus Christ.)
2) What did Jesus do? (He showed loving kindness.)
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
1) How does Heavenly Father want us to treat one another? (With kindness, forgiveness, and with tenderness.)
2) Can you think of some other ways to show kindness and love to others? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a coloring page, on to each child. Invite Children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about ways we can show kindness to others.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
A special thank you to our sponsor Tiny 3D Temples who helped make this week's video possible! They are giving away a FREE Temple Music Light!
Your child will love such a beautiful and meaningful night light!
It plays music, lights up in the dark, and is a daily reminder of the temple!