The video this week, "Joy in Any Season" helps children to realize that they can choose joy no matter what comes their way.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "If the Savior Stood Beside Me"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Tell children they will be completing a series of challenges as an introduction to the lesson.
First challenge: Invite children to simply go from one side of the room to the other.
Second challenge: Invite children to go again from one side of the room to the other, but this time they can only use one foot.
Third challenge: Now invite children to go once again from one side of the room to the other, and this time they must use no feet! (They can use knees, hands and elbows, army crawl, etc.)
After completing the activity, ask the following question:
When I changed the rules for the challenge, did it make you mad, or was it kind of fun? (Hopefully kind of fun!)
Explain the following: Things change all the time. Some days are good days, and some days are bad days. But we can find joy all the time if we are trust Heavenly Father and if we are trying our best to keep the commandments.
🎥 V I D E O : “Joy in Every Season”
Say: “We are going to watch a video about two robots - a green robot, and a yellow robot. One robot is angry in every season, and the other robot is happy in every season. See if you can tell which robot is happy in every season.”
[Watch Video: “Joy in Every Season” | Family Home Evening Lesson”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Which robot was happy in all seasons? (the green robot)
2) If the same thing happened to both robots, why do you think the green robot was able to be happy
all the time but not the yellow robot? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verse below and discuss the questions that follow.
1) What does it mean when it says “peace be unto thy soul?” (Discuss)
2) Who can give us peace in our hearts? (Discuss)
3) Do we need an open heart or a closed heart to feel peace? (Discuss)
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
1) Who was the person that suffered in this scripture?” (Jesus Christ)
2) Why did Jesus Christ suffer? (To bring us to Heavenly Father)
Explain that we can rejoice because of this! He has the power to fill our hearts with peace, and bring us back to Heavenly Father. We can trust Him and we can always find joy in Him no matter what.
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the robots, cut them out, and then tape (or glue) them back to back on a single popsicle stick. Present the following scenarios to children and ask them to discuss what the green robot would do and what the yellow robot would do in each of the scenarios.
- Someone bumped into you and made you drop your food on the floor.
- You can’t find your shoes when you are getting ready to leave.
- Someone else got two presents but you only got one.
- You want to play, but you have to help clean the kitchen.
- It’s bedtime and you don’t want to go to bed.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.