Jonah and the Whale: Nov. 21th-27th
This week we get to dive in to the story of Jonah and the whale! We absolutely love this story! It's rich with important spiritual lessons and with symbolism. One of the takeaways is that the Lord is watching over us always! He hears our prayers. Even when we run from Him, IN THAT VERY MOMENT He is preparing a way to rescue us! Even when we are surrounded by darkness and we feel alone and in despair - he hears our prayer!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Child's Prayer"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
You will need a lego person, a clean sock, a towel, a blanket, a small bag or backpack, and a large bag or backpack.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to watch what happens to the lego person over the next few minutes and to think about how the lego person is feeling.
Next, you will wrap the lego person up inside many layers of darkness! First put the lego person inside the sock, wrap the sock with the towel, place that inside the small bag, then place everything into the large bag and cover it with the blanket.
When the lego person is trapped alone in the darkness, discuss the following questions:
1) Do you think the Lego person feels loved? Or all alone? (Discuss.)
2) Do you think the Lego person feels free? Or trapped? (Discuss.)
3) How do you think the lego person feels while they are in total darkness? (Discuss.)
Now unwrap the lego person as you explain the following: Today’s lesson is about how much the Lord loves each one of us. Sometimes, we might feel all alone. We might feel like we are stuck, or like we are surrounded by sadness and darkness. But even when we feel that way, the Lord always remembers us! He is always watching over us. He will protect us and rescue us and He wants to bring us back into the light!
🎥 V I D E O : "Jonah and the Whale | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video of a prophet named Jonah! In this story, Jonah is trapped and all alone surrounded by darkness. Let’s watch and see if the Lord remembers Jonah and what the Lord does to help Jonah.
[Watch Video: “Jonah and the Whale | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did Jonah Love the Lord? (Yes!)
2) Why was Jonah running away from God? (He was afraid of what the Lord asked him to do.)
3) What happened to Jonah when he ran away? (Discuss.)
4) Why did the Lord send the whale to Jonah? (To save his life and to protect Jonah.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read the first part of Jonah 1:1-2]
Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish’s belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me…
1) Where was Jonah? (He was in darkness in the belly of the whale.)
2) What did he do? (He prayed unto the Lord.)
3) What did the Lord do? (The Lord heard him.)
4) What are some little things we can do to practice being steady and faithful? (Discuss.)
[Read Jonah 3:5]
So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
1) What did the people of Nineveh do when Jonah told them to repent? (They repented and they believed in God.)
2) Why do you think the Lord wanted Jonah to go to the people of Nineveh? (Because the Lord loved them and he didn’t forget them either!)
[Read the last part of 3 Nephi 9:14]
Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord is speaking to all of us.)
2) How does the Lord feel about us? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scene from the video! Use this time to talk about the Lord’s love and tender mercies for each of us.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline? The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!) We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk