He Will Carry Our Sorrows: Sept. 26th-Oct. 2nd
This life can be so heavy and so hard. We can feel so weighed down that we can't bear our burdens. Nor are we supposed to. The Savior will carry our burdens with us. Through faith and trust in Him, our burdens and trials can be lifted and removed. This is one of the many miracles of the atonement of Jesus Christ. This lesson invites each family member to reflect on their personal relationship with the Savior.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus"
➤ P R E P A R A T IO N
You will need several small rocks for each child and an image of Jesus Christ. Use a marker to write the word “sin” on half of the rocks, and the word “sorrow” on the other half of the rocks. (You can place tape on the rocks and write on the tape if you do not want to permanently write on the rocks.)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Explain that during our lives, we will all sin. When we sin, we feel bad. And that feeling is a heavy burden to carry, like a rock! (Give each child some rocks to hold.)
Next, explain that we also feel pain and sorrow in this life. Sometimes the pain and sorrow we feel isn’t even our fault. Our sorrows can also be a heavy burden to carry, like a rock! (Give each child more rocks to hold.)
Lay the image of Jesus Christ face up on the ground.
Explain that Jesus Christ was good enough, and strong enough to carry all of these things! Through the atonement, Jesus Christ took upon Himself the weight of all of our sins and all of our sorrows! (Now invite the children one at a time to place their rocks on top of the image of Jesus Christ.) That’s why we call Him our Savior! He saves us from these burdens that are too heavy for us to carry!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Ant and the Very Big Rock | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about some ants! If you listen closely, the ants will teach us something about Jesus Christ! Let’s watch, and see what the ants can teach us about Jesus Christ!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why was it hard for the ant to walk? (The ant had to carry a heavy rock.)
2) What are the things that we carry in our hearts that can feel like heavy rocks to us? (We carry the burden of our sins and our sorrows.)
3) How was the ant able to be free again? (The strong ant lifted the rock and carried it on his back.)
4) Who is strong enough to carry our burdens for us? (Jesus Christ.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read the first part of Isaiah 53:4]
Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows…
1) Who is this scripture talking about? (Jesus Christ.)
2) What does it mean when it says He has “borne” our sorrows? (It means he has carried our sorrows.)
[Read Isaiah 53:6]
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
1) What does “iniquity” mean? (It means sin.)
2) What has the Lord done with our iniquities? (He has laid them on Himself.)
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The apostle Paul is speaking.)
2) Where does Paul get his strength? (From Jesus Christ!)
3) Are we strong enough to carry the weight of our sins and our sorrows by ourselves? (No, we need the strength of Jesus Christ!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about the atonement of Jesus Christ, and what it means to you.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
We'd like to thank this week's sponsor KANGA TOYS for their support!
Kanga Toys creates one of a kind AQUA BRUSH BOOKS! Your children can color scene from the scriptures again and again with WATER! No mess, no crayons, no marker stains, just water! They are re-usable and perfect for engaging children in a fun and quiet activity!
They are running a 15% OFF SALE now! Use the coupon code below to grab this deal!