God Parts the Red Sea (April 4th-10th)
God is powerful! He is powerful enough to overcome sin, to conquer death, to save us, redeem us, resurrect us, cleanse us of our sins, and give us eternal life! All throughout the scriptures, we can find stories where God has shown his power unto us. This week, we are focusing on the story of Moses and the parting of the Red Sea!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need 10 sheets of printer paper. Before the lesson, crumple the papers loosely into 10 paper balls. Place them all close together in the center of a table.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to blow the papers as hard as they can to try to create a “strong wind!” Challenge them to blow all of the papers all off the edge of the table without touching the papers! See how many breaths it takes, and how much time it takes!
After the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) Do you think it was hard or easy to blow the papers off of the table? (Discuss.)
2) Do you think you could make enough wind to move the table? (Discuss.)
3) Do you think you could make enough wind to move a house? (Discuss.)
4) Do you think you could make enough wind to move an ocean? (Discuss.)
Explain: Today, we are going to learn about when God made a strong wind that was strong enough to part the Red Sea! The Isrealites were trapped by the edge of the Red Sea, and they didn’t have a way to escape. But Moses trusted God to provide a way for them to escape!
🎥 V I D E O : "Moses and the Red Sea | A Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about Moses and the Red Sea! Listen to what Moses says when the Israelites are trapped! Do you think Moses was afraid? Or do you think Moses trusted God?”
[Watch Video: “Moses and the Red Sea | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Can you remember what Moses said when the Israelites were afraid? (He said, “Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord.”)
2) Why wasn’t Moses afraid? (Because he knew that God promised to deliver the Israelites, and he knew that God had power to deliver them.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.
1) Did Moses part the sea with his own power? (No.)
2) Who had the power to make the strong wind come and part the sea? (God’s power made the strong wind come and part the sea.)
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
1) Was it going to be easy for Nephi to get the plates from Laban? (No, it was a hard thing to do, and it was dangerous.)
2) Why was Nephi willing to do it? (He had faith that the Lord would provide a way for Nehpi to do what God commanded him to do!)
Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
1) Did Ammon do great things with his own power? (No, it wasn’t Ammon’s power.)
2) Who did Ammon trust to give him strength? (He trusted in God for his strength!)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about trusting in God’s promises, and trusting in God’s power to strengthen us and deliver us.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids, please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more!