Fasting- Come Follow Me: June 1st-7th
Fasting can be challenging for our children, and sometimes it can be challenging for adults too! This week's video and lesson bundle explore how fasting helps up draw closer to God.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle below!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Sweet Hour of Prayer"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Have a small treat ready to give to children at the beginning of the lesson (a marshmallow, a small piece of candy, a chocolate chip, etc.)
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Tell children that they will each be receiving a delicious treat! Explain that they can choose to eat it now or they can wait until the end of the lesson to eat it. But, if they wait until the end of the lesson, they will receive an extra treat!
Make sure they understand the choice they are making. Place the treats right in front of the children so that they are tempted to eat them.
After each child has a treat, discuss the following questions:
1) Who wishes they could eat this treat right now? (Allow children to raise their hands.)
2) Why do you want to eat this treat right now? (Discuss all of the benefits of eating a sweet
and delicious treat!)
3) If it’s so good to eat, why would you wait until later to eat it? (Discuss the benefits of
waiting to eat the treat.)
4) If we give up something we really want for something we want even more, what is that
Explain: “Today we are learning about fasting and prayer. Fasting is when we go without food and drink for a little while. Did you know that waiting to eat your treat until the end of the lesson is kind of like fasting?”
🎥 V I D E O : "Fasting and Prayer / Animated Scripture Lessons for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about fasting and prayer. Here is a question for you to think about while you are watching: Why does Heavenly Father want us to fast?”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Why do you think Heavenly Father wants us to fast? (It strengthens us spiritually and we draw nearer to God.)
2) Why does fasting make our spirit stronger? (It’s like exercise for our spirit. We practice saying “no” to things that our body wants.)
3) Can you remember any of the people from the scriptures who fasted and prayed? (Moses, Anna, Alma, Jesus Christ.)
4) Do you think those people were spiritually strong or weak? (Strong.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following verses together and discuss the questions that follow.
"And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?"
In this scripture, Alma is bearing his testimony of Jesus Christ.
1) How do you think he got his testimony of Jesus Christ? (Discuss any ideas the children have.)
"Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me."
1) How did Alma get his testimony of Jesus Christ? (He prayed and fasted many days and it was given to him by the power of the Holy Ghost.)
2) Do you think he was hungry when he was fasting? (Yes.)
3) Why didn’t he eat? (He was fasting and he wanted to have a testimony.)
4) Do you think his spirit got a little bit stronger? (Yes.) Why? (Discuss.)
"Nevertheless the children of God were commanded that they should gather themselves together oft, and join in fasting and mighty prayer in behalf of the welfare of the souls of those who knew not God."
1) What were these people commanded to do? (To join together in fasting and mighty prayer.)
2) Who did they pray for while they were fasting? (For the people who didn’t believe in God.)
3) Do you think these people were hungry when they were fasting? (Yes.)
4) Why didn’t they eat? (They were fasting and they wanted Heavenly Father to bless those people.)
5) Do you think their spirits got a little bit stronger? (Yes.) Why? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out activity pages.
Follow the directions on the activity pages and help children to complete the activity. Invite them to eat their treats! Give extra treats to those who waited and ask them why they chose to wait. Ask
them if their spirits feel a little bit stronger!
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.