Faith - Come Follow Me: Oct. 14th-20th
The video for this week, "Faith is Like Planting a Seed", will teach what faith is, and that faith is action! This video will give children a connection to the scriptures about faith with the Come Follow Me scriptures: Colossians 1:23 and 2:6-7.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Faith"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite children to do one jumping jack (only one!). As an alternate option, you could invite children to do one push up, one sit up, run in place, squeeze their hands in a fist for one second, or any other activity that might be appropriate for your circumstances.
After children complete this activity, ask the following questions:
1) Was this easy? Or difficult? (easy)
2) Why was it easy? (They only had to do the activity for a short time.)
Now invite children to do the same activity, but for a longer period of time. After children begin to get tired, ask them to stop. Then ask the following questions:
1) Why do you feel tired? (It’s hard, muscles aren’t strong enough, etc.)
2) Is it easier to do something for a long time, or for a short time?
3) If we want to get stronger, what do we have to do? (exercise)
🎥 V I D E O : "Faith is Like Planting a Seed"
Say: “We are going to see a story about a boy who wanted to plant a corn seed! Do you think he’ll take care of the seed for a long time? Even when he is tired? Let’s watch, and see what he does!”
[Watch Video: “Faith is Like Planting a Seed”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did the boy take care of the seed for a long time?
2) Do you think he got tired?
3) Why did he keep going, even when he was tired?
4) What happened when he took care of the seed for a long time?
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Before reading the verse, invite children to listen for the word “walk” and the word “built.” Invite children to do the following actions when they hear these words:
“Walk” (Swing arms and feet as if you are walking.)
“Built” (Pretend like you are swinging a hammer to build something.)
After reading the verses, discuss the following questions:
1) What do you think it means to “walk in Christ?” (discuss some examples)
2) What do you think it means to “build in Christ?” (discuss some examples)
3) Do you think we should only do these things for a little while, or for a long time?
4) What do you think will happen if we do these things for a long time? (discuss)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Instruct children to care for the seed by completing three tasks:
(1) cross out the weeds
(2) draw streams of water pouring onto the seed
(3) draw rays of sunlight shining on the seed!
Next, instruct children to color the corn stalks, cut them out, and tape (or glue) them together onto the first paper so that a great big corn stalk is growing up from the seed! Use this opportunity to talk about what we can do to exercise faith in Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.