Esther's Courage: July 25th-31st
Esther showed great courage as she faced death to save her people. She trusted in her God and put her people's needs above her own. She was a true leader. We can learn much from her incredible example.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Dare to Do Right"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need some rope (or string or yarn), and you will need something to use as a blindfold.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Extend the rope across the room at waist level. You can tie the rope to something on each end of the room, or you can have some volunteers hold each end of the rope.
Ask for a volunteer to wear the blindfold and have them walk across the room using the rope to guide them. Allow each child to have a turn.
After you have completed the activity, explain the following:
Today we are going to be learning from the scriptures about something called courage! Courage means doing the right thing, even when it might be a little bit scary. When you held onto the rope, you knew you were going the right way! But, it was a little bit scary because you couldn’t see where you were going. Every time you took a step in the right direction, you were showing courage!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Scriptures Turn My Heart to Christ | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a courageous woman in the bible named Esther! Let’s watch and find out what Esher did that was scary for her!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What was the courageous thing that Esther did? (She asked the King to change the law.)
2) Why was this scary for Esther? (It was against the king’s law, and she could have died!)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the scriptures below and discuss the questions that follow.
Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
1) Why did Esther ask all of those people to fast and pray with her? (Because she had faith in the Lord, and she knew she needed the Lord’s strength.)
2) Esther was willing to give her life to save her people. Can you think of someone else that was willing to give their life to save others? (Jesus Christ!)
[Read Daniel 3:17-18]
If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
1) Do you know who is speaking in this verse? (Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego are speaking to the king who is going to put them in the fiery furnace.)
2) Why did the king put them in the fiery furnace? (Because they worshiped God and wouldn’t bow down to the King’s statue.)
3) Why is this an example of courage? (Because they were willing to do the right thing even if it was scary for them.)
[Read Luke 22:41-42]
And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
1) What is happening in these verses? (Jesus is praying to Heavenly Father when it is time for Him to suffer for our sins.)
2) Did Jesus want to suffer for us? (It was scary for Him, and He asked Heavenly Father if there was another way.)
3) What did Jesus Christ decide to do? (He showed courage and He was willing to do what Heavenly Father commanded Him to do, even when it was scary for Him.)
4) We’ve been talking about big things that took lots of courage. But sometimes it takes courage to do little things too! Can you think of some little things Heavenly Father has asked us to do that might take some courage? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page, one to each child. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about some things Heavenly Father has asked us to do that might take some courage.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk