Elijah and the Still Small Voice: June 27th - July 3rd
God spoke to Elijah the prophet with a still small voice. He also speaks to each of us in a still small voice. We can prepare ourselves to hear the Lord in our lives. This week's lesson invites each of us to do just that!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "The Still Small Voice"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
Set a countdown timer on your phone for 60 seconds, and choose a reverent sound for the ring tone. Turn the volume to a low setting.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to leave the room while you hide your phone somewhere in the room. Start the 60 second timer and then invite the children to sit back down in their seats. Tell them that your phone will ring soon, but it’s very quiet! Tell them to listen carefully to see if they can hear the ring tone!
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) When you were trying to hear the phone, were you moving? Or were you sitting still? (Discuss.)
2) When you were trying to hear the phone, were you making noise, or were you silent? (Discuss.)
3) When you were trying to hear the phone, were you distracted? Or were you paying attention? (Discuss.)
4) What happened when you did all of those things? Were you able to hear the phone? (Yes!)
Explain that in the scriptures, the Holy Ghost is sometimes called “The Still Small Voice.” The still small voice is not loud. It’s more like a whisper that we feel in our hearts, and if we want to hear it, we need to be still, and focus, and listen with our hearts - just like when we were listening to hear the phone!
🎥 V I D E O : "Elijah and the Still Small Voice | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about Elijah the Prophet! The Lord visited Elijah to speak with him and to give Him instructions. Let’s watch and see how Elijah knew that the Lord was nearby!
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did Elijah recognize the Lord in the wind? (No, the Lord was not in the wind.)
2) Did Elijah recognize the Lord in the earthquake? (No, the Lord was not in the earthquake.)
3) Did Elijah recognize the Lord in the fire? (No, the Lord was not in the fire.)
4) How did Elijah recognize that the Lord was nearby? (He heard a still small voice.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave.
1) When did Elijah recognize the Lord was nearby? (When he heard the still small voice.)
And it came to pass when they heard this voice, and beheld that it was not a voice of thunder, neither was it a voice of a great tumultuous noise, but behold, it was a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper, and it did pierce even to the very soul.
1) When the people heard a voice, was it like thunder? (No.)
2) When the people heard a voice, did it make a “great noise?” (No.)
3) What was the voice like? (It was a still voice of perfect mildness, and it was like a whisper.)
Yea, thus saith the still small voice, which whispereth through and pierceth all things, and often times it maketh my bones to quake while it maketh manifest,
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Joseph Smith.)
2) What do you think it means for something to “whisper through” us? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the image from the video. Invite the children to discuss things that they can do to follow Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk