Draw Near Unto Me
Ask, seek, knock. These are the words that the Lord describes in D&C 88 to come closer to Him. These words are active, not passive. Our journey to draw nearer to God is something that requires effort on our part. He is always near ready to answer us, find us wherever we are, and opens doors for us.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "I Know My Father Lives"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a rope long enough to stretch across the room and an image of Jesus Christ. A thick rope (for pulling) would be ideal, but string or yarn will work as well. Tie each end of the rope to something sturdy on each end of the room (such as a door knob or a piece of furniture). The rope should be stretched across the room suspended in the air. Place the image of Jesus Christ at one end of the rope.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Invite the children to take turns “drawing near” to the Savior by pulling them themselves forward along the rope towards the image of Christ. Emphasize the pulling motion on the rope so that they will have a better understanding of what it means to “draw” near.
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) What do you think it means to “draw near” to the Savior? (Discuss.)
2) How did it feel to use your legs and your arms to draw near to Jesus instead of just using your legs? (Discuss.)
3) Imagine there was a big storm, and it was dark so you can’t see. Then how would it feel to hold onto the rope? (Discuss.)
4) What are some things that we can hold onto when we are trying to draw near to Jesus Christ in our hearts? (Discuss things like family, the scriptures, the prophets, the Holy Ghost, the commandments, etc.)
🎥 V I D E O : "Draw Near Unto Me | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids "
Now we are going to watch a video about a girl who wants to draw near to the Savior. The video will also show you three other things that Jesus told us we can do to be close to Him. See if you can remember the other three things!
[Watch Video: “Draw Near Unto Me | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did the girl do to draw near to Jesus? (She had to pull the rope to make the boat go across the lake.)
2) Can you remember the other three things that Jesus has told us we can do to draw near unto Him? (Seek and ye shall find, ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you.)
3) What did Jesus say He will do if we draw near unto Him? (He will draw near unto us.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
1) What did Jesus say will happen if we seek Him diligently? (He said we will find Him.)
2) Have you ever lost something before that you really wanted to find? How did it feel? (Discuss.)
3) What did Jesus say will happen if we seek Him diligently? (We will find Him!)
4) What are some things we can do to seek Jesus diligently? (Discuss things like learning of Him, and trying to follow His example and keep His commandments.)
Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Nephi is speaking to his brothers.)
2) What is happening? (Nephi is teaching his brothers about the Holy Ghost.)
3) Why don’t they understand what Nephi is teaching them? (Because they don’t “ask,” and they don’t “knock.”)
4) What do you think Nephi’s brothers could do to “ask” and “knock?” (Discuss things like studying the scriptures, pondering the words in the scriptures, and praying to ask Heavenly Father.)
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
1) What did Jesus tell us to do? (Ask, seek, knock.)
2) What did Jesus promise us? (Everyone who asks will receive, everyone who seeks will find, and to everyone who knocks it will be opened.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite Children to color the coloring page from the video. Use this time to discuss what it means to draw near unto Jesus Christ, and what Jesus promised He will do if we draw near unto Him.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.