Discipleship: April 19th-25th
In D&C 41 it says, "He that receiveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple." To be one of his disciples this verse states clearly that we need to receive and do what the word of God commands. This is how we become his disciples. It isn't enough to just receive. We take the word and apply in to our lives. We live it! This week's lesson invites your family to discuss discipleship.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a blindfold for each person (except one) who will be present at the lesson.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Ask for a volunteer to be the “leader” and play “follow the leader.” (Invite the leader to to things like walk around the room, sit down, stand up, run in place, etc.) while all of the other participants try to mimic the leader.
Now, pass out the blindfolds to the “followers” and ask everyone to play follow the leader again with the blindfolds on. (This should be much more difficult because the followers cannot see the leader.)
After this activity, discuss the following questions:
1) What happened when you couldn’t see the leader? (It was harder to follow the leader!)
2) Jesus Christ invited us to follow Him. Do you think we can follow Him if we aren't watching Him? (Discuss.)
3) How can we learn about Jesus Christ? (The scriptures, church, Family Home Evening, prayer.)
4) If we want to follow Jesus Christ, is it better to learn only a little about Him? Or should we learn a lot about Him? (A lot!)
5) Why is it better to learn a lot about Jesus Christ? (We will be able to follow Him better if we know more about Him.)
Explain: Today, we are going to learn about the word “Disciple.” A disciple of Jesus Christ is someone who learns about Jesus Christ and follows Him.
🎥 V I D E O : "The Little Blue Spider | A Story About Discipleship"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about a little spider who wanted to follow the master spider! Let’s watch and see if the little blue spider learns how to be a disciple!”
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Did the little blue spider learn how to be a disciple? (Yes.)
2) How do you know that the little blue spider was a disciple? (He learned more about the master spider every day, and he tried to do everything that the master spider did.)
3) What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus Christ? (It means to learn about Jesus Christ and to try to follow Him and be like Him.)
4) If we want to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, do you think we should learn about Him? (Yes.)
5) How can we learn about Jesus Christ? (The scriptures, church, Family Home Evening, prayer.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
5 He that receiveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple…
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (Jesus Christ.)
2) How can we become His disciple? (By receiving His law and doing it.)
3) What will happen if we don’t know Jesus Christ’s laws? (It will be harder for us to follow Him.)
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1) What commandment did Jesus give to us in these verses? (Love one another as Jesus Loves us.)
2) How will others know if we are a disciple of Jesus Christ? (If we love one another the way that Jesus loves us.)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me...
1) What is a yoke? (It is a device that hooks two animals together so they go the same way together.)
2) What did Jesus Christ tell us to do in this verse? (To come unto Him, to take His yoke on us, and learn of Him.)
3) Do you think learning of Jesus Christ will help us be a better disciple of Jesus Christ? Why? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to color the image from the video as you talk together about what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!