Unity is a celestial principle! Much more can be accomplished by a communal effort than individually. When we band together as families, friends, as a community, and as saints, we are able to bless one another more fully. We can build Zion, our communities and our families with unity and love!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Love One Another"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need an egg for each person who will be present for the lesson. You will also need a flat and stable surface (such as a table top or some glass plates), and some table salt!
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Pass out one egg to each person and invite everyone to try to balance the egg so that it stands upright on the table. Allow everyone to attempt this for a minute or two.
Now sprinkle a pinch of salt (no more than ¼ teaspoon) on the table surface in front of each person, and invite everyone to try to balance the egg in the salt. (This will take a little bit of effort, but it is possible to balance the egg in the salt!)
After you have concluded the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) When you tried to balance the egg by yourself, was it easy to do? (No.)
2) When we added a little salt, was it easier? (Yes.)
3) When was it the easiest to balance the egg? (When we had the salt!)
Explain: In the scriptures, there was a group of people who cooperated and worked together in righteousness! The Lord called His people “Zion,” because they were of one heart and one mind, and they all loved and cared for one another. When the salt worked together to hold up the egg, it was kind of like “Zion!” We can have more joy in our families and as members of the church when our hearts are pure and when we all work together in righteousness!
🎥 V I D E O : "The Ants and the Grasshoppers | A Story About Building Zion"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about some ants and some grasshoppers! Watch and see which insects are working together in righteousness, and which ones are divided and fighting against each other.”
[Watch Video: “The Ants and the Grasshoppers | A Story About Building Zion”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) Which of the insects were building Zion and working together in unity? (The ants!)
2) Which of the insects were divided and fighting against each other? (The grasshoppers.)
3) What do you think we can learn from the ants? (Discuss.)
4) What do you think we can learn from the grasshoppers? (Discuss.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scripture verses and discuss the questions that follow.
And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them.
1) What do you think it means to be of one heart? (Discuss unity in values.)
2) What do you think it means to be of one mind? (Discuss unity in goals and ideas.)
3) Why do you think there were no poor among them? (Because they all worked hard and they all took care of each other!)
Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (The Lord is speaking to the members of the church.)
2) What is the Lord telling us to do? (To be one!)
3) What do you think it means for the members of the church to be one? (Discuss.)
But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.
1) Who is speaking in this verse? (King Benjamin the prophet is telling parents the things they should teach to their children.)
2) What are the things that parents should teach to their children? (To walk in the ways of truth, and to love and serve one another.)
3) What does it mean to walk in truth? (To live by true principles.)
4) What do you think it will feel in our home if we all try to love and serve one another? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the coloring page! Invite children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to discuss ways that family members can be united and love and serve one another.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
A special thanks to our sponsor, Youth Wilderness Experiences!
Click HERE to learn more!