Be Still and Know That I Am God: Sep. 6th-12th
When something goes wrong, especially when it's something beyond our control, it is normal to feel distress. We might worry. We might even panic. We might fight it and try to wrestle the situation into our control. But in moments like this, the Savior would have us remain steady. "Be still and know that I am God." We can't see the end from the beginning, but He does. Do we trust Him?
This week's lesson bundle invites your family to ponder over what it means to be still and trust in God.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
Download this week's Activity Page HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "If I Listen With My Heart"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a small cup of water (filled almost to the brim) and an image of Jesus Christ. Draw a heart on the cup, or tape a drawing of a heart to the cup. Place the cup of water and the image of Jesus Christ on the floor on the opposite side of the room.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Explain that the cup represents our hearts, and the water represents our faith in Jesus Christ. Ask a volunteer to attempt to pick up the cup of water and bring it over to the image of Jesus Christ without spilling any of the water. Allow the other children to do this activity one at a time until everyone has had a turn.
After you complete the activity, ask the following questions:
1) When you did this challenge, were you moving fast? Or slow? (Discuss.)
2) Were you wiggling? Or were you still and steady? (Still!)
3) Why were you slow, steady and still instead of rushing and wiggling? (Because the water would have spilled!)
4) What would have happened if you panicked and went too fast and tried to rush? (Discuss.)
Explain: When something goes wrong, or we feel worried, or upset, Heavenly Father has told us what to do. He said: “be still, and know that I am God.” God is in control, and He loves us very much! He will take care of us if we will trust Him!
If we let our hearts get too worried, or if we rush or panic too much, then our faith can spill out of our hearts.
But, if we learn to keep our hearts calm, and steady, and still, (just like the cup of water) we can keep following Jesus Christ and our hearts can stay filled with faith!
🎥 V I D E O : "Mother Knows What to Do | A Story About Trusting God"
Now we are going to watch a video about learning to trust God instead of being fearful! Watch and see what these children were worried about and who was taking care of them.
1) What are some things that the children were worried about? (The broken spoon, the lights, the lightning, and the empty cereal box.)
2) Who was taking care of them? (Their mother.)
3) Did the children need to be worried? (No, because Mother was watching over them.)
4) What did the children learn to do at the end? (They learned to trust their mother!)
5) Why are we like the children? (Because we are also learning to trust Heavenly Father to take care of us.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.
1) What was happening when the Lord said this? (The saints were being persecuted and forced to leave their homes.)
2) What did the Lord tell them? (He said to be still and know that I am God.)
3) What does it mean to be still and know that I am God? (It means not to be worried and to trust God.)
And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
1) What is happening in this verse? (Jesus and His disciples were on a ship, and there was a great storm!)
2) Who was asleep? (Jesus was asleep.)
3) What did the disciples do? (They were worried, and they woke Jesus to ask Him to help.)
And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
1) What question did Jesus ask his d? (He asked them why they were fearful.)
2) What could they have done instead of being fearful? (They could have trusted Heavenly Father to take care of them.)
3) Does your heart ever feel like a storm? (Discuss.)
4) What did Heavenly Father tell us to do when we are worried and when we have a storm in our hearts? (“Be still and know that I am God.”)
5) What does it mean to be still and know that I am God? (It means not to be worried and to trust God.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite the children to color the characters from the video. Fold along the dotted lines to make the mouths open and close! Have a discussion together about some things that you might feel worried about right now. (Use the characters to express your worries!)
Talk about Heavenly Father’s love for you and His promises to you in the scriptures. Talk about what you can do to trust Him and to help your hearts be still and filled with faith.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Latter Day Kids is streaming on Living Scriptures!
Why watch on Living Scriptures?
-Early access! Our videos release on Thursday (every week), two days earlier than the YouTube release.
- Watch ad free!
- Watch in a safe environment!
- Enjoy thousands of uplifting titles.
We are offering an exclusive TWO month free trial for our Latter Day Kids supporters! Use the code: latterdaykids at checkout!