'Ask and Ye Shall Receive'
The video this week, "Faith is the Evidence of Things Not Seen" explains what F A I T H is and how children display faith in their every day lives and activities.
Download this week's Lesson Bundle HERE!
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 K A R A O K E V I D E O : "Did You Think to Pray?"
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Ask children the following question:
What time is it right now? (Allow children to search for a watch, clock, or mobile device to find the answer.)
After children have completed the activity, discuss the following:
1) When you wanted to know what time it was, what did you do immediately? (Search for a clock)
2) Why did you search for a clock? (Because we know the clock can tell us the time.)
3) Can a clock teach us about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ?
4) What are some things we can do if we want to learn truth about Heavenly Father? (Discuss)
Explain: Just like we check the clock to see what time it is, we can ask Heavenly Father when we want to know truth about really important things. In the scriptures we have been asked lots of times by our Heavenly Father to “ask” and we will receive.
🎥 V I D E O : "Joseph Smith and the First Vision"
Say: “We are going to watch a video about Joseph Smith.” Explain that Joseph Smith asked Heavenly Father when he wanted to know something important.
Invite children to see if they can find out what Joseph Smith wanted to ask Heavenly Father while they watch the video.
[Watch Video: “Joseph Smith and the First Vision | Family Home Evening Lesson”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1)What did Joseph want to know? (Discuss)
2) What did he decide to do? (Discuss)
3) Why did he decide to pray? (Discuss)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the verses below and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read James 1:5-6]
After reading the verses together, discuss the following questions:
1) What does it mean when it says “If any of the lack wisdom?” (Discuss)
2) How do we ask of God? What do we have to do? (Discuss)
3) What does it mean when it says “ask in faith, nothing wavering?” (Discuss)
4) What does it mean when it says “it shall be given him.” (Discuss)
5) Can you think of other stories in the scriptures when someone asked God for something?
6) What do you think Heavenly Father wants us to do when we want to know the truth about
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Invite children to complete the dot to dot activity and color the image. Remind them that we can ask Heavenly Father things in prayer, just like Joseph Smith did. Younger children will need assistance to complete the dot to dot.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
'Come, Follow Me' is a resource offered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is designed to be used in the home to support personal and family scripture study to build faith in Heavenly Father and His plan of salvation and in the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Come, Follow Me is self-contained and adequate, when used properly. Products and materials designed to supplement this resource, though they may be helpful in some instances, are not necessary for a successful home study program.