Abraham and Isaac
There is much to learn about obedience thorough the story of Abraham and Isaac. This week's lesson reviews the biblical story of Abraham and Isaac and invites your family to discuss the principle of obedience. It takes HUGE amount of courage to let go and trust the Lord, but as we do so our lives are blessed.
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Nephi's Courage"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a jar and a ball that is slightly smaller than the opening to the jar. You will also need some tape and an image of Jesus Christ small enough to fit on the bottom of the jar.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N
Tape the image of Jesus Christ on the bottom of the jar on the outside, so that you can see the image when the jar is upside down. Place the ball inside the jar. Invite the children to attempt to reach inside the jar and take the ball. (They won’t be able to pull their hand out while gripping the ball.)
Explain that the ball represents anything in our hearts that can keep us from Heavenly Father. It will be different for each one of us. It could represent meanness, or selfishness, worldly possessions, etc. Explain that many of God’s commandments challenge us to “let go” of these things, and to put God first. And if we aren’t willing to let go, then we can be trapped by those things!
Now turn the jar over slowly so that the image of Jesus Christ is visible and allow the ball to roll out of the jar. Explain that when we put God first, and are willing to obey Him, He pours out blessings to us - greater than we can imagine!
🎥 V I D E O : "Abraham and Isaac | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Say: “Now we are going to watch a video about when God tested Abraham to see if he was willing to obey. Let’s watch and see what God asked Abraham to do, and if Abraham was willing to obey!”
[Watch Video: “Abraham and Isaac | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) What did God command Abraham to do? (He commanded Abraham to give up his only son.)
2) Was Abraham willing to obey God? (Yes, he showed God that he was willing to obey.)
3) Can you think of someone who really did give up their only begotten son? (Heavenly Father gave His only begotten son Jesus Christ for us!)
4) Can you think of some things that Heavenly Father has asked us to give up? (Discuss some of the commandments we have been asked to live today.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
[Read the first part of D&C 64:34]
Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind...
1) Does the Lord want our stuff? (No. He doesn’t need it.)
2) What does the Lord really want? (He wants our hearts to love Him the most, and He wants us to be willing to trust and obey Him.)
[Read Matthew 22:37-38]
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.
1) What is the first and great commandment? (To love God with all of our heart, mind, and soul!)
2) How does keeping the commandments show God that we love Him? (It shows we put Him first, and we are even willing to give up other things if we need to because we love Him the most.)
[Read Genesis 22:18]
And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
1) Who is God speaking to in this verse? (To Abraham.)
2) Why was Abraham promised great blessings? (He showed he was willing to obey God.)
3) What are some commandments that God has given to us today? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out the activity pages. Invite the children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to talk about God’s sacrifice of His only begotten Son, and how we can better show God our willingness to obey.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
If you would like to support the future of Latter Day Kids,
please consider becoming a monthly patron!
Click HERE to find out more! !