A Light Unto My Path: August 22nd-28th
The word of God in the scriptures and in the words of the living prophets are like a light in the darkness. They light our way and help us through the confusion of an ever complex and dark world. It is vital that we read the words of God and cling to them!
LESSON BUNDLE DOWNLOADS:
➤ L E S S O N
Open the lesson with a song and a prayer.
🎶 O P E N I N G S O N G : "Teach Me to Walk in the Light"
➤ P R E P A R A T I O N
You will need a strand of Christmas lights, an image of Jesus Christ, and a lego person for each child. Make a trail along the floor with the strand of lights. Place the lego people at the beginning of the trail and place the image of Jesus Christ at the end of the trail.
➤ I N T R O D U C T I O N A C T I V I T Y
Leave the light strand unplugged at first and turn off all of the lights and darken the room as much as possible by closing curtains or window blinds. Explain that without the light of Christ, we would be left in spiritual darkness. It would be hard to tell right from wrong and it would be hard to see what is true. Now plug in the light strand leading to Christ. Explain that Jesus Christ is the light of the world. He shows us the truth, and He lights the way for us to make it safely back to Him and to Heavenly Father.
Invite each of the children to reverently “walk” their lego person along the lighted trail all the way back to the image of Jesus Christ.
After you complete the activity, discuss the following questions:
1) How did you feel when you were following the light to Jesus Christ? (Discuss.)
2) What are some things we can do in real life to stay in the light and follow the path to Jesus Christ? (Discuss things like baptism, keeping the commandments, reading the scriptures, praying, showing kindness to others, etc.)
🎥 V I D E O : "A Light Unto My Path | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids"
Now we are going to watch a video about some bike riders who went on a long bike ride in the mountains! But after a while, the sun went down and it started to get dark. Let’s watch and see what they did to make it back home safely!
[Watch Video: “A Light Unto My Path | Animated Scripture Lesson for Kids”]
Discuss the following questions after watching the video:
1) The flashlight was a symbol for something. Do you remember what the light represented? (The scriptures and the words of Christ.)
2) Why did some of the bike riders leave without taking a light with them? (They thought they could see good enough without the light.)
3) Did they make it to where they wanted to go? (No! They tried their best, but they ended up a long way from home.)
4) What happened to the girl who kept a light with her? (She was able to make it all the way back home, even when it was dark around her.)
5) How can we keep the light of Christ with us every day? (We can be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and we can read the words of Christ in the scriptures.)
➤ S C R I P T U R E
Read the following scriptures and discuss the questions that follow.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
1) Whose word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path? (The word of the Lord.)
2) Where can we find the word of the Lord? (In the scriptures!)
3) Can you think of some things that the scriptures teach us we should do? (Discuss.)
For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little...
1) Does God teach us everything all at once? Or does he lead along us a little at a time? (He teaches us a little at a time, just like the strand of lights!)
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
1) Who knows the way to Heavenly Father? (Jesus Christ)
2) What can we do to show Jesus Christ that we are trying to walk in His light? (Discuss.)
➤ A C T I V I T Y
Pass out a coloring page, on to each child. Invite Children to color the scene from the video. Use this time to discuss the importance of the scriptures, the Holy Ghost, and the Light of Christ. Talk about things we can do to keep our hearts close to Him.
➤ T E S T I M O N Y
Bear testimony of the truths found in the scriptures.
Want to download Latter Day Kids videos to your device to watch offline?
The easiest way is with the Living Scriptures app! Just open the app, find the videos you want to watch, and click the download button!
If you haven’t tried Living Scriptures yet, here is the best opportunity you will ever get to take it for a test drive! We’ve partnered with them to get you a 60 day free trial available only to Latter Day Kids viewers! (Normally it’s only 2 weeks!)
We love Living Scriptures Streaming, and we use it regularly! We hope you’ll join us there: https://www.livingscriptures.com/ldk